This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9696 / 55°58'10"N
Longitude: -3.1475 / 3°8'50"W
OS Eastings: 328477
OS Northings: 675774
OS Grid: NT284757
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y7.YK
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.M6FY
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 20 Seafield Road, Seafield Crematorium
Listing Date: 29 September 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364072
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27095
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
W N Thompson, 1938-9. Inter-war basilica style crematorium. 2-storey, 4-bay nave with advanced 2-storey transeptal entrance porch at 3rd bay. Apsed end to SE; single storey, flat-roofed office wing of curved plan projecting to NE. Reconstituted granite: horizontally channelled base course, cill course to ground and 1st floor windows, eaves cornice terminated at gables by corbels.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: stylised portico to right of centre with entablature and block pediment over square chamfered shafts and moulded reveals. V-canted and bracketted stair window. Flanking single bay, single storey offices projecting each side with small bipartite window. Horizontal, clerestorey windows to bays 1, 2 and 4 at 1st floor; leading to organ gallery. Entrance steps with integral flanking planters; adjoining boundary dwarf wall. 3-bay single storey wing projecting to left.
NE ELEVATION: projecting central panel at 1st floor containing narrow vertical opening and oculus above. Flanked by plain chimneys.
SE ELEVATION: not seen (1995).
SW ELEVATION: 2-tiered apse to end of nave (lower tier housing projecting ambulatory); gablehead above. 2 narrow windows to offices to left; narrow slit window to 1st floor gallery.
Metal casement windows with coloured leaded glazing to ground floor openings; 14-pane triangular stair window. Clerestorey and skylight windows with glass brick glazing. Plate glass casement windows to single storey wing. Roman-tiled pitched roof to nave; red clay tile to apse. Skews with granite coping.
INTERIOR: bays divided internally by concrete structural members. Period decoration and fittings intact; timber-boarded floor and dado panelling. Decorative cast-ironwork to rear of apse; framing apse entrance arch and at gateways leading to ambulatory. Ambulatory with circular skylights. Bowed gallery at centre bay of NW wall; flanked by organ lofts. Timber door to NE end of centre aisle with small 5-pane coloured leaded light. Green marble slab table in nave, centring apse.
BOUNDARY WALL: reconstituted granite dwarf wall with coping.
Memorial garden wall and gateway: reconstituted granite wall with coping; adjoining round-arched and pedimented gateway with voussoirs; hooped-iron gate.
Other nearby listed buildings