This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9747 / 55°58'28"N
Longitude: -3.1669 / 3°10'0"W
OS Eastings: 327272
OS Northings: 676360
OS Grid: NT272763
Mapcode National: GBR 8V5.0Q
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.B361
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 49, 51, 53 Constitution Street
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364182
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27155
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1810. 2-storey, 8-bay former part of neighbouring Exchange Buildings complex, single storey link to left, large flat-roofed extension to rear. Cream sandstone, stugged ashlar front with polished dressings, pebble-dash render to rear. Ground floor windows with recessed aprons; band course above ground floor; eaves cornice and blocking course; wide ashlar mullions.
NW (FRONT) ELEVATION: regular fenestration to 4 centre bays flanked by slightly advanced bays with fluted pilastered and corniced doorways, paterae and Greek key pattern to frieze, panelled doors and diamond-pattern fanlights. Outer bays with impost band course; to right, tripartite window at ground floor set in segmental-arched panel, tripartite window at 1st floor above; to left, pend (altered), tripartite window at 1st floor above. Single storey link with former Assembly Rooms with plain 2 doorways and small rectangular blind windows above.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: large modern extensions, partly with mansard roofs.
Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing. Grey slate piended roof with metal flashings; small stack to front.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
The maps describe the building as part of the Exchange Buildings but it is not shown on the drawings for the Exchange of 1809.
Other nearby listed buildings