This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9741 / 55°58'26"N
Longitude: -3.1673 / 3°10'2"W
OS Eastings: 327245
OS Northings: 676289
OS Grid: NT272762
Mapcode National: GBR 8T5.XY
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.93ZJ
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, Constitution Street, St John's East Church, Schoolroom Pavilion
Listing Date: 29 April 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364246
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27192
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
1773, remodelled and re-fronted David Rhind, 1843, Rectangular-plan preaching-box with later gothic refacing, W tower and single storey wing to N. Cream sandstone, polished ashlar front and tower, coursed rubble to rear and sides with ashlar quoins. Cavetto eaves cornice; front with base course; 4-centred arches, ashlar mullions and hoodmoulds with angled label stops to principal openings; angle buttresses with octagonal pinnacles, gabletted faces and elongated ogee heads.
W (FRONT) ELEVATION: 3-stage lantern tower to centre, pointed-arch doorway, row of blind quatrefoils above; 2nd stage with 2 tall bipartite windows to S, W and N faces; top stage with broached base of spire with corner pinnacles, clock faces (without faces) to S, W and N framed by corbelled shafts; tall octagonal belfry with lancet windows and octagonal corbelled shafts breaking eaves to pierced arcaded parapet. Y-traceried windows flanking tower.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled; 2 tall windows flanking (blocked) oculus and square blank ashlar cartouche; keystoned bull?s-eye window in gablehead. Original round-arched and keystoned openings (blocked) doorway flanked by 2 windows, tall window in gablehead flanked by smaller windows.
N ELEVATION: 3 tall arched openings; large velux rooflights.
S ELEVATION: as N elevation.
SIDE WING: stugged ashlar; single storey; rectangular-plan; rectangular openings with chamfered reveals and ashlar mullions; pinnacled buttresses; W elevation 4-bay with doorway to left of centre, 4-light canted window with parapet rising to finialled gable above to right of centre, single windows to outer bays; single window and stepped parapet on S return.
Replacement windows throughout. Slate roof with lead flashings. Triangular ashlar skews.
INTERIOR: gutted and 3 storeys inserted.
Low rubble wall to front, cast-iron railings, 2 square coped gatepiers, base of octagonal gatepier.
Built at chapel of Ease in parish of South Leith, became quod sacra parish church in 1834, was subsequently held by the Free Church 1843-46, closed 1954. Now in the process (1992) of refurbishment and conversion to 3-storeys of offices, the side wing (originally part of a symmetrical pair of schoolroom pavilions, S wing demolished mid 20th century) has already been converted to offices. Only remains of church interior is the stained glass (Dickson & Walker, 1897) of the E oculus.
Other nearby listed buildings