This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9768 / 55°58'36"N
Longitude: -3.1855 / 3°11'7"W
OS Eastings: 326118
OS Northings: 676618
OS Grid: NT261766
Mapcode National: GBR 8Q4.7Y
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.11DD
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, North Fort Street, Leith Fort, Lodges
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364293
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27221
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1810. Cream sandstone.
GUARDHOUSES: pair of matching 2-storey Palladian lodges aligned to flank gateway framing forecourt (within fort); rubble walls, droved ashlar to front, polished ashlar dressings. 2-storey with 2-bay open-pedimented end gables flanked by single storey bays; inner bays with with round-headed openings and pilasters, outer bays plainer; oculi on rear elevations. Pedimented 4-bay Roman Doric loggias to court, with entablature and blocking course, centre bays pedimented.
GATEWAY: ashlar, with base course and coping. Pair of square piers flanked by round-headed pedestrian arches with impost stones. Outer posts of arches with Ordnance Survey benchmarks.
BOUNDARY WALL: ashlar coped rubble wall to North Fort Street and N side of site.
The fort was built to protect the harbour, containing a battery of
9 guns, to the initial plans of James Craig, starting in 1779. It was later developed as the HQ of the Royal Artillery in Scotland, considerable enlargement having taken place during the Napoleonic Wars to house French Prisoners. Most of it was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the housing schemes now in its place. The guardhouses are part of the later enlargement at the beginning of the 19th century, not appearing on the map of 1804, but clearly shown by 1817.
Other nearby listed buildings