This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9761 / 55°58'33"N
Longitude: -3.1797 / 3°10'46"W
OS Eastings: 326477
OS Northings: 676530
OS Grid: NT264765
Mapcode National: GBR 8R5.F6
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.414Z
Entry Name: 25 and 27 North Junction Street, Leith Art College (Former Scandinavian Lutheran Church) with Offices, Gatepiers, Railings and Boundary Walls; Eh6 6hw
Listing Date: 9 September 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364382
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27276
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
James Simpson of Leith adapting design by Johan Schroder of Copenhagen, 1868-9. Early Gothic former church with apsidal chancel and 2-stage diminishing gabled tower with spire; offices to rear. Squared and snecked stugged cream sandstone with ashlar dressings. Chamfered arrises; pointed-arch openings to church.
E (NORTH JUNCTION STREET) ELEVATION: gabled front with steps to gabled porch at centre; heavily roll-moulded doorcase with colonnetes and hoodmould; 2-leaf chevron-boarded door with decorative hinges. Hoodmoulded windows flanking porch; pair above with united hoodmould; louvred vesica at apex; cross finial. Tower to right. Set back to left single storey lobby with door and window.
TOWER: window at ground to front with hoodmould; diagonal
buttresses; rectangular lights to outer faces above; date 1868 at front left corner. Belfry with louvred lancets and steep gables to each face; bestial waterspouts at corners. Slender pyramidal spire with alternating bands of fishscale slating and ball finial, and small louvred, keel lucarnes.
N ELEVATION: 4 bays to right of spire; 3rd and 4th blocked and obscured by breeze block addition. Lower apsidal end set back to right.
W ELEVATION: bowed apsidal chancel with pair of windows projecting from gable end of church with vesica at apex.
S ELEVATION: 4 bays of church with gable of lobby at far left.
Fixed multi-pane timber windows. Grey slates with lead flashing; preponderance of large velux skylights. Ashlar coped skews with bracketed skewputts. Cast-iron bracketed gutters and downpipes with some decorative rainwaterheads.
INTERIOR: open scissor-braced timber roof. Floor inserted to create attic studio space. Stained glass windows to chancel. 2-leaf fielded-panel doors to narthex.
OFFICES: adjoined to W (rear) of church, pitched-roof single-storey offices; skewed gable to N with vesica in gablehead. Lean-to porch to S with boarded door in shouldered surround with corresponding 2-pane fanlight. Windows to E.
GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: pair of stop-chamfered gatepiers to front with bases, pyramidal caps and ball-finials. Modern cast-iron railings on ashlar base. Rubble boundary wall to N with semi-circular coping.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. This is the oldest Norwegian seamen?s church outside Norway. It was converted in the early 1980s to an art college.
Other nearby listed buildings