This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.975 / 55°58'29"N
Longitude: -3.1674 / 3°10'2"W
OS Eastings: 327243
OS Northings: 676389
OS Grid: NT272763
Mapcode National: GBR 8T5.XM
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.92ZV
Entry Name: 44, 44a, 46 and 46a Constitution Street
Listing Date: 1 February 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364406
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27295
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 19th century; shopfront at No 46 George Craig, 1894; public house front at No 44 W.N Thomson, 1897-8. 3-storey 6-bay tenement with later projecting shopfronts. Grey sandstone, stugged ashlar front with polished dressings, coursed rubble to rear and sides. 1st floor windows architraved and corniced; panelled aprons (obscured by shopfronts); band cill course at 1st and 2nd floor; dentilled eaves cornice with blocking course.
SE (FRONT) ELEVATION: projecting single storey flat-roofed shopfronts at ground floor; entrance doorway to tenement to outer right. Regular fenestration above shopfronts; 2 canted tripartite dormers to left.
No 44: 3-bay public house (1897-8) with tripartite window in depressed-arched opening with carved timber mullions and transoms at centre, flanked by doorways with oval-shaped panelling to doors and large rectangular fanlights; panelled pilasters with festoon carving and free Ionic capitals; rich mottled stained glass with ship and fish motifs to window and fanlights; swagged carving to parapet badly decaying. Cellar opening. Ornate bracket to trade sign.
No 46: 4-bay red sandstone shopfront with polished black granite base, shallow granite pilasters flanking with laurel wreath to frieze, balustraded parapet; bay to outer left with doorway and oval bull's-eye window above; 3 bays to right arcaded, moulded and keystoned depressed-arched windows with elaborate bulbous and fluted Corinthian columns, recessed doorway at centre.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular single windows; small flat-roofed projection with tall tripartite window.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows, some 12-pane windows to rear. Black slate roof with polygonal cupolas; coped mutual and apex stacks to end gables.
INTERIOR: No 46 with ornate cornices and octagonal Corinthian columns. No 44 (Noble's Bar) with plaster ceiling, ornate cornices and shallow frieze with ship motifs; diamond-panelled wood work throughout, carved timber gantry behind bar (moved) with dentilled cornice.
See Notes to No 30, 32 Maritime Street. The quality of design, inside and out, at No 44, should not be under-estimated.
Other nearby listed buildings