This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.974 / 55°58'26"N
Longitude: -3.1682 / 3°10'5"W
OS Eastings: 327192
OS Northings: 676283
OS Grid: NT271762
Mapcode National: GBR 8T5.RZ
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.93LL
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 88, 90 Constitution Street
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364469
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27337
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 19th century. 3-storey and attic, 7-bay tenement with pend and shops at ground floor, 3-storey former wireworks (No 86) to rear. Cream sandstone, stugged ashlar front with polished dressings, coursed and squared rubble to rear, wireworks with coursed and squared rubble front, random rubble to rear and sides. Rusticated ground floor; band course above ground floor; 1st floor band cill course; architraved and corniced windows at 1st floor; eaves cornice and blocking course.
E (FRONT) ELEVATION: segmental-arched pend in slightly recessed bay to outer right with timber beams and ornate cast-iron gates. Remaining bays with common stair doorway to centre, panelled door, blocked rectangular fanlight; shopfronts with centre doorways flanking, rounded and moulded reveals to openings and heavy dentilled cornice above. Regular fenestration at 1st and 2nd floor; 3 later (1897) mansard dormers. Vaulted cellars.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: windows; short and broad wallhead stack to centre.
WIREWORKS: 3-storey, rectangular-plan, piend-roofed. Irregular openings, much altered; raggle of forestair to left; large opening to workshop to right; vaulted cellars.
Timber sash and case windows; plate glass glazing to front, some 12-pane windows to rear and to wireworks. Black slate roof with lead flashings; apex stacks to side elevations, 1 transverse stack.
INTERIOR: shop at No 90 with ornate cornices; No 88 with with stone flagged entrance, stone stair and plain cast-iron balusters.
No 86 was probably originally built as housing and later became a cooperage and wireworks. The top floor was a Masonic Lodge until WWII. Now the interior has been gutted and the block been converted to offices and workshops. Includes No 86B Constitution Street.
Other nearby listed buildings