This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9738 / 55°58'25"N
Longitude: -3.1681 / 3°10'5"W
OS Eastings: 327197
OS Northings: 676257
OS Grid: NT271762
Mapcode National: GBR 8T6.R2
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.93MR
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 92 Constitution Street, Bank of Scotland
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364477
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27344
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1793. 3-storey, 5-bay rectangular-plan classical town house. Sandstone, E and S elevations rendered over polished ashlar ground floor, droved ashlar 1st and 2nd floor, coursed rubble to rear. Rusticated ground floor; angle pilasters with stylised capitals, fluted to prinicipal elevation; 1st floor windows pilastered and corniced, with panelled and recessed aprons to principal elevation; band course above 1st floor with cameo roundels to principal elevation where also frieze with oval rosettes, angle urns, and pediment with urn finial. Timber mullions.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: closed pilastered porch to centre with parapet, panelled door and vestibule; single windows to 1st and 2nd floor above. Single windows to remaining bays.
S (QUEEN CHARLOTTE) STREET: 2-bay; at ground floor pilastered common stair doorway to left of centre flanked by bipartite window to left,
2 single windows to right; tripartite windows with narrow sidelight to 1st and 2nd floor (windows to right bay blocked). Tall central wallhead stack with panelled base.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 4-bay; band course above 1st floor circling over round-arched tall stair window at centre; single windows to remaining bays. Central wallhead with parapet screen supporting wallhead stack. Remains of gabled party wall with tall apex stack of demolished adjoining building to right.
Timber sash and case windows, plate glass and 4-pane glazing, 1st floor windows of principal elevation aluminium replacement windows, some 12-pane windows to rear. Black slated M-piended roof with lead flashings; 2 wallhead stacks (see above).
INTERIOR: ground floor with ornate egg and dart cornices; octagonal columns with elaborate foliate capitals.
Built for a merchant, Thomas Williamson.
Other nearby listed buildings