This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9738 / 55°58'25"N
Longitude: -3.1694 / 3°10'9"W
OS Eastings: 327114
OS Northings: 676259
OS Grid: NT271762
Mapcode National: GBR 8T6.H1
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.930R
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 106 Constitution Street, St Mary Star of the Sea, Church Hall
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364518
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27372
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Dated 1903. 3-storey flat-roofed rectangular-plan school with roof play ground to rear of St Mary Star by the Sea. Reddish-yellow brick with dressings of cream sandstone. Bays of long elevations divided by slender off-set buttresses rising to gablet-capped dies serving as piers to rooftop railings.
SE ELEVATION: 8-bay; large corniced window to each bay and floor;
3 bays to left previously abutted by another full-height building, now rendered and blank with lower 2-storey lean-to extension accessed via forestair.
SW ELEVATION: 5-bay; 2 advanced bays to right with secondary doorways at ground floor with exposed iron lintels; single windows at 1st and 2nd floor, 2nd floor windows with aprons of herringbone brickwork with blank concrete shields inserted and segmental-arched stylised hoodmould with finial over. Bays to centre and to left of centre as above. Narrow 4-stage stair bay to outer left with small paired 2-tier windows divided by panels of herringbone brickwork and culminating in cap-house. Smaller lean-to addition to outer left with single window and secondary door.
NW ELEVATION: as SE elevation except for projecting 4-storey blank bay to outer right with small windows on return and smaller lean-to addition at ground floor. To outer right bay lower 2-storey flat- roofed addition with narrow windows to 1st and 2nd floor on return NE.
NE ELEVATION: 3-bay; blank centre bay with broad wallhead stack; single corniced windows to outer bays.
Large 12-pane timber casement cross windows. 1 wallhead stack; plain cast-iron railings to roof parapet.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Listed for its unusual brick construction and the decorative brickwork detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings