This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9698 / 55°58'11"N
Longitude: -3.1688 / 3°10'7"W
OS Eastings: 327144
OS Northings: 675818
OS Grid: NT271758
Mapcode National: GBR 8T7.MG
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.969T
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 71, 73, 75, 77 Duke Street, Hall
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364578
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27412
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
J M Johnston, 1907. 2-storey 4-bay church hall with projecting Glasgow-style front block with strong vertical emphasis. Red sandstone front, stugged ashlar with ground floor and bands of cream polished ashlar. Block ashlar mullions and transoms; shallow brackets to cornices.
SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: 2 centre bays with plain deep set rectangular doorways; tall bipartite windows at 1st floor, recessed with tall cills, deep cornice semi-circling over each window, plain railings as parapet curving up to outer bays. Outer bays breaking eaves with canted parapet and corner dies, tripartite windows set in recessed panels (round-arched at ground, segmental-arched at 1st floor), projecting mullions rising to deep cornice at eaves level.
Small leaded panes to windows. Flat roof with rectangular recessed dormers.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
The hall (formerly South Leith Kirk Session hall) largely replaced an earlier hall by James Simpson of 1878. Johnston's remodelling retained some of the original interior but added screens and steel supports for the roof. The facade, however, represents a rare Edinburgh example of an Edwardian Free Style design, most usually associated with the work of Glasgow architects such as James Salmon, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Honeyman & Keppie and John G Gillespie.
Other nearby listed buildings