This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9694 / 55°58'9"N
Longitude: -3.1674 / 3°10'2"W
OS Eastings: 327233
OS Northings: 675774
OS Grid: NT272757
Mapcode National: GBR 8T7.XM
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.97Z3
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 89 Duke Street, Queen Margaret College
Listing Date: 5 March 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364599
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27432
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
G Reid & J Smith Forbes, 1930-31. Monumental 3-storey (basement to N) symmetrical classically detailed school of hollow pentagon-plan with hall cutting across central courtyard. Red brick with cream sandstone ashlar ground floor and dressings. Base course; moulded string course above ground floor; moulded cill course at 2nd floor; banded ashlar eaves course, cornice and blocking course.
S (entrance) elevation: 19-bay with single windows per floor and bay. Centre 7 bays advanced and with quoins above ground floor and tall ashlar parapet, lion head and acroterion with scroll base to centre; ground floor windows architraved and corniced; 2nd floor windows with ashlar panels as aprons; round-arched and keystoned doorway, deep-set 2-leaf panelled door and semi-circular fanlight, 2 small windows flanking, larger windows to outer bays; cornice and shallow parapet above ground floor raised over 3 centre bays inscribed 'LEITH ACADEMY SECONDARY SCHOOL¿ framed by sculptured lion heads; windows of centre bay recessed in moulded ashlar panel, carved school crest in panel between. Tall timber rooftop clock tower with decorative pierced cast-iron panels to centre above, clock face to each side and gilt surround, gilded urn finial with weathervane.
W (Duncan Place) elevation: 9-bay with 7 centre bays advanced and single windows per bay and floor. Centre bays with ashlar ground floor; round-arched doorway to centre with 2-leaf door and semi-circular fanlight with ornate radial astragal pattern; advanced bay above with 3 stair windows with fluted aprons in moulded recessed ashlar bay, cast-iron balcony on ashlar brackets to 1st floor window; above blocking course bearing fluted tablet. Angled bay to outer right return of front elevation with large blank panel at ground floor and giant round-arched recess with scroll-flanked acroterion above 2nd floor string course and blind oculi to spandrels; blocking course bearing fluted tablet above. Recessed bays to outer left and penultimate right with small windows.
NW elevation: 13-bay with ashlar basement and single windows per bay and floor. 5 centre bays advanced with quoins above ashlar ground floor and blocking course bearing tablet flanked by corner urns, 2nd floor windows with aprons of ashlar panels. Recessed lower single bay stair block with entrance at ground floor and single windows above.
NE (rear) elevation: 2-bay with single bay stair blocks (see above) as splayed wings; 2-storey and basement flat-roofed canted service block in re-entrant angle between wings.
E (Leith Links) elevation: 10-bay with 5 centre bays advanced; otherwise detailed as mirrored NW elevation with brick quoins at ground floor.
SE elevation: mirrored W elevation.
Internal courtyard: 2-storey 10-bay flat-roofed assembly hall cutting across courtyard, with wide casements at ground floor and wide round-arched windows with timber mullions divided by shallow brick pilasters at 1st floor; low brick parapet with plain railing to roof garden.
Timber sash and case windows, mostly 12-pane (now mostly boarded up), assembly hall with multi-pane casements and hopper windows. Green slate roof with lead flashings; 2 ornamental brick stacks with tapering ashlar head to main entrance block, tall square brick stalk to boilerhouse at rear of assembly hall. Moulded eaves gutter and gutterheads.
Interior: main vestibule with Neo-Georgian decorative scheme of panelled pilasters and square columns, anthemion and acroterion to frieze and cornices marking columns; memorial panels and school crest to walls; moulded doorways with fanlights of radial astragals; concentric plaster mouldings to ceiling. Similar scheme but plainer to main assembly hall.
Boundary wall, gatepiers and railings: low rubble boundary wall, square coped ashlar gatepiers to W, SE and S elevation each with paterae detail, railings, decorative main gates.
Reid & Forbes specialised in school design eg Inverness High School (1934), former Kelso High School (1936), Chirnside Primary School (1937-8) or Dalkeith High School (1959). Also formerly known as Queen Margaret College. Statutory Address amended February 2006.
Other nearby listed buildings