This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9725 / 55°58'20"N
Longitude: -3.1725 / 3°10'21"W
OS Eastings: 326918
OS Northings: 676119
OS Grid: NT269761
Mapcode National: GBR 8S6.WJ
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.74JR
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 67 Giles Street, St Mary's Workshops
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364606
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27439
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
James Simpson, dated 1875-6, enlarged and heightened George Craig, 1888. 2-storey and mansard attic 12-bay, French 18th century style school with French pavilion roofs, now converted to workshops. Cream sandstone, squared and snecked stugged rubble with polished dressings. Base course; band course above ground floor and at eaves level; segmental-arched windows; front elevation with corniced windows to wings at ground floor, bracketted cills at 1st floor; recessed ornamental cast-iron ventilation grilles at ground and 1st floor.
E (FRONT) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 11-bay. 4-bay advanced centre block with bipartite windows and pedimented scroll-flanked dormers; outer bays advanced, 3rd floor breaking eaves with pedimented dormerheads and French pavilion roofs. 4-bay outer wings (to left angled forward) with outer bays slightly advanced, with corniced doorways with tall fanlights (blind to outer right with inscription), pavilion roofs; inner bays with tripartite windows to centre, single windows above, flanked by paired windows.
W (HENDERSON STREET) ELEVATION: 14-bay; 6-bay centre block with outer bays slightly advanced as E elevation; centre bays bipartite and paired with pedimented scroll-flanked single and bipartite dormers. 4-bay wing to left with outer bay slightly advanced, single windows and pavilion roof; inner bays with 2nd floor windows breaking eaves with half-piend finialled dormerheads; bipartite and single windows;
2 scroll-flanked bull?s-eye metal dormers with antifixae. 4-bay wing (angled) to right with tall shoulder-arched arcade of recessed play shelters at ground floor; slightly advanced outer bay with pavilion roof; single windows at 1st floor to inner bays breaking eaves as above.
N (SPIERS PLACE) ELEVATION: 5-bay; advanced stair tower to centre with windows paired vertically in ashlar panels, at 2nd floor pedimented and breaking eaves, pavilion roof and single windows on returns. Single windows to remaining bays; outer bays slightly advanced with pavilion roofs.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay; 2 arcade openings to play shelters to left bays; single windows above and to right of centre; pavilion roofs to outer bays.
Timber sash and case windows, mostly 2-pane upper, 4-pane lower sashes. Slate mansard roof with metal flashings; central stacks. Octagonal gutterheads.
INTERIOR: converted to small workshop units.
Low boundary wall with iron railings.
The French pavilion roofs, the major feature of the building look bare: they may have been enhanced originally by decorative iron brattishing which traditionally adorned these types of roofs.
Other nearby listed buildings