This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9723 / 55°58'20"N
Longitude: -3.1752 / 3°10'30"W
OS Eastings: 326751
OS Northings: 676098
OS Grid: NT267760
Mapcode National: GBR 8S6.BL
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.648X
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 123 Great Junction Street, St Thomas Junction Road Church
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364660
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27473
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
William Bell, 1824-5. Rectangular-plan 3-bay Classical preaching-box church with single storey hall to rear. Cream sandstone, polished ashlar front, coursed and squared rubble to rear and sides. Base course; segmental-arched windows at ground floor; gallery windows round-arched.
NE (FRONT) ELEVATION: broad pedimented centre bay slightly advanced with shallow paired pilasters, round-arched doorway and window at gallery level in advanced panel, 2-leaf panelled door and semi-circular fanlight with petal shaped astragals. Single windows to outer bays, shallow angle pilasters. Entablature and tall blocking course.
SE ELEVATION: 3-bay with single windows.
NW ELEVATION: as above.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey gabled hall along side rear elevation with skylights. 4-bay to main elevation; single windows, to centre with stained glass border glazing; wallhead stack to centre.
Small-pane timber sash and case windows, at ground floor with hopper panes. Slate piend and platform roof with metal flashings.
INTERIOR: U-plan with raked horseshoe gallery on slender cast-iron fluted columns; panelled gallery. Greek key pattern and dentilled cornices. Unusual timber concert hall-style tip-up seating with cast-iron sides with grape motifs. Refurbished circa 1930 with Renaissance-style pulpit and organ by Rushworth & Dreaper; pulpit with double stair and alternating wrought-iron and decoratively carved panels to balustrades; organ behind pulpit with decorative timber framing to pipes. Fluted pilasters to panelled timber communion table. Small hall to rear with timber hammerbeam roof rising from stone corbels with pendants.
Low boundary wall to front with decorative iron railings.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Attached but less interesting brick-built mission halls (Peter Henderson, 1894) at 23,25 Bonnington Road.
Other nearby listed buildings