This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9735 / 55°58'24"N
Longitude: -3.177 / 3°10'37"W
OS Eastings: 326640
OS Northings: 676242
OS Grid: NT266762
Mapcode National: GBR 8R6.Y4
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.53DY
Entry Name: 189-199 (Odd Nos) Great Junction Street and 5 Bangor Road
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364674
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27483
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1890. 4-storey corner tenement with shops at ground floor and Free Renaissance detailing. Cream sandstone, polished ashlar. Continuous cornice with blocking course above shopfronts; cill course at 2nd floor; bracketted eaves cornice with delicate iron brattishing; angle pilasters, moulded and pedimented at ground floor, channelled at 1st and 2nd floor, panelled at 3rd with coped dies above eaves level; architraved windows, 1st floor scrolled and pedimented, 2nd floor corniced, 3rd floor shouldered and keystoned with bracketted cills.
NE (GREAT JUNCTION STREET) ELEVATION: 5-bay; 2-leaf panelled common stair doorway off centre; shops flanking, mostly altered or boxed-in, No 189 tiled butcher shop, No 199 mosaic doorway (Gray & Co). Bipartite windows to outer left; single windows to remaining bays.
NW (BANGOR ROAD) ELEVATION: 5-bay including canted corner bay to outer left, round-arched keystoned doorway (now blocked), 3-storey canted bay corbelled above ground floor with initialled panel (?H G?) above 2nd floor. Blank bay right. Single windows to bay to right of centre. Bipartite windows to remaining bays. 2 wallhead stacks.
Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing, some 4-pane. Downpipes recesses.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Other nearby listed buildings