This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.973 / 55°58'22"N
Longitude: -3.1752 / 3°10'30"W
OS Eastings: 326750
OS Northings: 676179
OS Grid: NT267761
Mapcode National: GBR 8S6.BB
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.647C
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 124 Great Junction Street
Listing Date: 29 November 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364724
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27507
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
N range circa 1840, front warehouse completed Lessels and Taylor, 1897. Complex of 5- and 3-storey bonded warehouses built in various phases; N range L-plan, centre block added shortly after, front block circa 1880 and 1897. Cream sandstone, tooled ashlar to front elevation and return, squared and snecked rubble to NW, some droved ashlar dressings, coursed rubble to N range.
SW (GREAT JUNCTION STREET) ELEVATION: 5-storey; 11-bay; cornice and blocking course with 2 stepped tablets and former wallhead stack to centre. 3 bays to right circa 1880, remainder added 1897. Single windows, 5 centre bays more widely spaced with bipartite windows and loading door off-centre to right. Basket-arched door now blocked as window penultimate bay to right.
NW (CABLES WYND) ELEVATION: 3-bay return of front warehouse with matching detailing. 5-storey 3-bay warehouse (possibly 1840-50) with hoist doors and gable to centre, single windows to outer bays. 3-storey 6-bay N range to outer left with single windows; loading door to outer right.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-storey 8-bay N range with single windows and blocked segmental-arched pend to 5th bay; rendered gable. Inner courtyard with 5-storey building, top 2 floors raised in brick.
Barred windows with mostly 6-pane inward-opening casements, some sash and case windows and/or lying panes to Yardheads. Slate roofs; mutual stacks.
INTERIOR: 1840s Cables Wynd block with timber floors on timber beams and cast-iron columns with saddles. Steel beams and spigot joints to 1897 part; timber Queen-post roofs.
Group with Nos 106-120 Great Junction Street and 12, 13 Yardheads and Nos 127-143 Great Junction Street. Bonded store for John Crabbie & Co, but N range may have been originally part of Lochend brewery. Elevations to Great Junction Street and Cables Wynd cleaned 1989.
Other nearby listed buildings