This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9735 / 55°58'24"N
Longitude: -3.1762 / 3°10'34"W
OS Eastings: 326692
OS Northings: 676238
OS Grid: NT266762
Mapcode National: GBR 8S6.44
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.53SY
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 160, 162, 164, 166, 168 Great Junction Street
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364730
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27512
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Joseph Marr Johnston, dated 1905. 4-storey Glasgow-style corner tenement with shops at ground floor. Brick-built with polished red sandstone ashlar to principal elevations. Cornice over ground floor; cill course at 3rd floor; deeply overhanging eaves with stone brackets and cornice; chamfered reveals.
W (KING STREET) ELEVATION: 5-bay including canted angle bay to outer left. Angle bay with window formed from doorway at ground floor in chamfered corner, decorative carved thistle and rose details to corbel of full-height canted window above; date and cipher panel "WS 1905" to apron of centre light at 1st floor; brass plaque to right, recording birth of Sir John Gladstone (father of four times Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone); decorative mullion moulds to 2nd floor; slated finialled dome above. To right 2 blocked round-arched display windows; blank bay with tall wallhead stack. Single windows to centre bays. 3-storey canted window to outer right corbelled above ground floor.
N (GREAT JUNCTION STREET) ELEVATION: 6-bay. Altered shopfront flanking common stair doorway ; round-arched display window to outer right. 3-storey canted window to outer left corbelled above ground floor. Bipartite windows to bay to right of centre. Blank bay to outer right. Single windows to remaining bays.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: brick with lower harled extension (roof of latter used as roof garden/drying green).
Plate glass sash and case windows, some small-pane upper sashes, some replacement windows at 2nd and 3rd floor. Shallow pitched slate roof; coped wallhead stack to W ( see above), brick stacks to rear.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Designed for the coal merchant, William Sword, and used as his offices. The architect, J M Johnston was based in Leith but his choice of detailing and materials shows influences of contemporary Glaswegian designs, so does the typical Glasgow-style calligraphy on his application.
Other nearby listed buildings