This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9725 / 55°58'20"N
Longitude: -3.1671 / 3°10'1"W
OS Eastings: 327253
OS Northings: 676111
OS Grid: NT272761
Mapcode National: GBR 8T6.YJ
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.B42R
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 10 John's Place
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364766
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27540
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1825. Terrace of 8, 3-storey and basement 3-bay houses with classical details and variety of doorcases, mews lane to rear. Grey sandstone, stugged ashlar front with polished dressings, coursed and squared rubble to rear and sides (some pink). Rusticated basement; band course above basement; band cill course at ground floor with roundels below architraves (except No7 moulded cill course); dentilled eaves cornice with blocking course; ground floor windows architraved and corniced.
SE (FRONT) ELEVATION: paired elevations mirrored about centre with doorways accessed by railed steps to centre bays. regular fenestration, smaller windows as classical attic at 2nd floor.
Nos 3, 9 and 10: tripartite pilastered doorpieces with panelled doors; No 3 with dentilled cornice; Nos 9 and 10 with small pane sidelights; No 10 with original fanlight.
No 4: Doric columned doorpiece with dentilled cornice and paterae to frieze, panelled door and plate glass fanlight. Nos 5 and 6: tripartite doorpieces with Ionic pilasters and dentilled cornices, 2-leaf panelled doors and plate glass fanlights.
No 7: round-arched, pilastered and corniced doorpiece with panelled door and semi-circular plate glass fanlight.
No 8: pilastered tripartite doorpiece with segmental-arched fanlight framed by Ionic pilasters, dentilled cornice (sidelights blocked).
2 rectangular bipartite dormers to No 10.
Timber sash and case windows, mostly plate glass glazing, 12-pane windows to No 10, Nos 3, 5 and 9 replacement windows to top floors. Slate roof with metal ridge; broad mutual stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: rubble walls with saddleback coping, some rendered and with later railings. No 7 square ashlar gatepiers with dentilled cornice and remains of tall rubble boundary wall.
All houses are now converted to offices. Includes No 8A John's Place.
Other nearby listed buildings