This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9724 / 55°58'20"N
Longitude: -3.1673 / 3°10'2"W
OS Eastings: 327246
OS Northings: 676102
OS Grid: NT272761
Mapcode National: GBR 8T6.YK
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.B40T
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 11 John's Place, St James Church, Rectory
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364778
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27545
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
George Gilbert Scott (R Rowand Anderson, assistant), 1862-5. 2-storey and attic 3-bay irregular-plan rectory with gothic details. Cream sandstone, squared and snecked rubble with polished dressings and bands of red ashlar. Base course; chamfered reveals; shouldered-arched openings.
E (FRONT) ELEVATION: 3-bay; centre and right bay advanced; gabled bay to centre with 2-storey canted window with half-piend roof, single window to gablehead. Bay to right with tripartite window at ground floor, bipartite window at 1st floor above. Recessed narrow bay to left with pointed-arch doorway with trefoiled fanlight (blocked), single windows on return of centre bay.
S ELEVATION: 2-bay; gabled with irregular spaced single windows; rectangular oriel on single corbel with bipartite window and narrow sidelights at 1st floor.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: link to church halls at ground floor; wallhead raised into M-gable with broad tapering apex stacks; bipartite pointed-arch transomed stair window at 1st floor; irregular single windows.
Replacement windows throughout. Slate roof with stone ridge; battered stacks 2 at apex (see above), 1 transverse stack; octagonal cans; modern velux rooflights. Moulded eaves gutter, fixtures and gutterheads.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Low rubble wall with saddleback coping, gatepiers with chamfered arrises and half-conical heads, later gates and railings.
Now used as offices.
Other nearby listed buildings