This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9719 / 55°58'18"N
Longitude: -3.1677 / 3°10'3"W
OS Eastings: 327218
OS Northings: 676048
OS Grid: NT272760
Mapcode National: GBR 8T6.VQ
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.95T6
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 17-18 John's Place, Warehouse
Listing Date: 12 December 1974
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364790
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27555
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Robert MacFarlane Cameron, 1898. Substantial 6-storey warehouse with splayed corner. Cream sandstone, coursed and squared rubble with droved ashlar dressings to SE and NE elevations, squared and snecked rubble to rear. Arched lintels; large gableheads with pronounced skewputts, kneelers and die finials, keystoned bull¿s-eye window to gableheads; ashlar mullions.
SE (John¿s Place) elevation: 9-bay; 5 bays to left slightly recessed with corbel course above 2nd floor; large segmental-arched doorway to centre bay with hoodmoulding stepping over blank panel and block label stops; bipartite windows and gablehead above. Tall bipartite transomed window to right of centre. Secondary doorway to next bay and to outer left. Single windows to remaining bays. 4-bays to right with rusticated quoins; secondary doorway to left of centre; large gablehead over 2 centre bays.
NE (St James¿s churchyard) elevation: 7-bay; 3 centre bays slightly recessed; bipartite windows to centre bay. Single windows to remaining bays.
NW (rear) elevation: 6-bay; 2 bays to left slightly advanced. Single windows to each bay and floor.
Barred timber casement windows. Piend and platform slate roof with metal flashings; cast-iron cresting to ridge of gables. Moulded eaves gutter and ornamental gutterheads.
Interior: cast-iron columns with bell capitals, some timber floors, floor levels partly altered; mostly flat asphalt roof.
B Group with Nos 121-125 Constitution Street and the former Nos 14 John¿s Place and 18 Wellington Place now also 12 and 12A John¿s Place. An impressive complex of mid and late 19th century warehouses and offices. The large bonded warehouse was built in conjunction with the ornate offices at 121-125 Constitution Street and linked to these and their adjoining spirit warehouse by a single storey store block (now demolished). The drawings show open floor plans supported on cast-iron columns and elaborate iron cresting to the ridge of the platformed roof.
Other nearby listed buildings