This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9795 / 55°58'46"N
Longitude: -3.1687 / 3°10'7"W
OS Eastings: 327168
OS Northings: 676891
OS Grid: NT271768
Mapcode National: GBR 8T4.M0
Mapcode Global: WH6SF.9YBY
Entry Name: Leith Docks, Prince of Wales Dry Dock, Hydraulic Station
Listing Date: 12 December 1974
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364898
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27634
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Sir A M Rendel, 1858-63. Single storey Italianate hydraulic station with squat square tower, now rebuilt to rear, extended to NW and converted to offices. Yellow brick with cream sandstone dressings. Base course; impost band course; round-arched principal openings.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: formerly 3 pedimented bays with keystoned openings to centre, clock face to pediment, and 3-bay side wings with cornice and tall parapet. Modern extension of 4 bays in matching style to outer left.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION AND TOWER: large portion to right modern replacement. Engaged square-plan 2-stage tower to left with keystoned doorway, 2nd stage with tall keystoned tripartite lancets over panelled aprons to each face, overhanging bracketted eaves with finialled pyramidal roof.
NW ELEVATION: modern extension with centre doorway and 2 single windows.
SE ELEVATION: 3 openings, to centre bricked-up.
Modern small-pane timber windows with radial heads. Slate roof, louvred ridge to pedimented section. Modern cast-iron gutter heads.
Formerly serving the Prince of Wales dry dock (listed separately).
Other nearby listed buildings