This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9785 / 55°58'42"N
Longitude: -3.1677 / 3°10'3"W
OS Eastings: 327227
OS Northings: 676782
OS Grid: NT272767
Mapcode National: GBR 8T4.VC
Mapcode Global: WH6SF.9ZSP
Entry Name: Leith Docks, Tower Place, Harbour and Docks Office
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364905
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27639
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Charles S Robertson, 1892. extended 1914. 2-storey 5-bay symmetrical rectangular-plan classical office building with lower 2-storey extension to rear. Cream sandstone, ashlar, rear extension squared and snecked rubble. Cill and lintel course at ground and 1st floor; string course above ground floor; eaves cornice with tall parapet; architraved windows, pedimented at ground floor; angle pilasters channelled at ground floor with paired pilasters at 1st floor.
NW (TOWER PLACE): round-arched doorway to pedimented centre bay, shallow porch with paired square columns; single window at 1st floor flanked by shallow paired pilasters, pierced balustraded balcony, pediment breaking tablet above eaves with antifixa to apex and carved figures holding heraldic cartouche. Single windows to outer bays.
SW ELEVATION: 4-bay; single windows; outer bays channelled at ground floor, windows at 1st floor flanked by shallow paired pilasters; tall parapet with pierced balustrade over outer bays and scrolled wallhead stack to centre. 5-bay lower 2-storey addition to right with bipartite windows to outer and 4th bays; single windows to remaining bays.
NE ELEVATION: 5-bay; detailing of facade carried over to 3 right bays, single windows with scrolled wallhead stack to right; 2 bays to left 3-storey with single windows, pedimented at ground floor. 4-bay later addition to outer left with recessed link and corniced doorway.
Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing. Piend and platform slate roofs with metal flashings; 2 wallhead stacks (see above) 3 stacks to addition. Ornamental gutterheads and star-shaped brackets.
INTERIOR: revolving timber door, mosaic floor with fan pattern to vestibule and hall, embossed dado and Neo-classical plasterwork; elaborately carved timber staircase.
Low rubble wall with iron railings to front, corner piers with ball finials, gatepiers with lamp standards flanking entrance. Decorative cast-iron transformer case to forecourt.
Other nearby listed buildings