This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9752 / 55°58'30"N
Longitude: -3.1679 / 3°10'4"W
OS Eastings: 327211
OS Northings: 676418
OS Grid: NT272764
Mapcode National: GBR 8T5.TJ
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.92QN
Entry Name: 30 and 32 Maritime Street
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365141
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27808
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
George Craig, 1894. 4-storey, 5-bay symmetrical warehouse with plain classical detail and vertical emphasis. Red sandstone ashlar front, squared and snecked stugged cream sandstone to rear and sides with stugged dressings of red sandstone. Base course; string course above ground floor; cill course at 1st and 2nd floor; eaves cornice; depressed-arch openings at ground; panelled aprons to 2nd floor windows; slightly advanced full-height pilasters dividing arched bays; ashlar mullions.
NW (FRONT) ELEVATION: keystoned doorway at centre with small open scrolled swan-necked pediment above and broader such pediments to flanking pilasters. Secondary doorway to outer left. Bipartite windows to 1st and 2nd floor. 3rd floor windows with timber mullions and transoms. 3 velux rooflights.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: ground floor with steel lintel held by cast-iron columns, recessed windows behind (former link with now demolished rear buildings). Single windows to outer left bay,; bipartite windows to remaining bays and floors.
NE ELEVATION: truncated gable with paired truncated stacks; irregular single windows (some blocked).
Modern timber sash and case and casement windows. Slate roof with metal flashings. Moulded eaves gutter and gutterheads.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
The warehouse was constructed in conjunction with a single storey printing shed (still largely extant) behind which connected it to No 46 Constitution Street (listed separately). The premises at Constitution Street were given a new elaborate red sandstone shopfront at the same time. The building has recently been converted to offices.
Other nearby listed buildings