History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edinburgh, Leith, 6a Mill Lane, St Thomas' Schools and Asylum

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9748 / 55°58'29"N

Longitude: -3.1761 / 3°10'34"W

OS Eastings: 326697

OS Northings: 676376

OS Grid: NT266763

Mapcode National: GBR 8S5.4P

Mapcode Global: WH6SM.53T0

Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 6a Mill Lane, St Thomas' Schools and Asylum

Listing Date: 29 March 1995

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 365155

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27819

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Unitary Authority Ward: Leith

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Seafield

Description

John Henderson, 1840. 2-storey, L-shaped block forming open courtyard with former St Thomas parish church and manse (listed separately), Jacobean details, part-refurbished (1992). Cream sandstone, droved ashlar with polished dressings, squared and snecked rubble to rear. Base course; continuous hoodmoulds to ground and 2nd floor; chamfered arrises; moulded skews; eaves line raised over each bay into lugged gables with blind round-arched windows and gabled dormerheads with blind roundels; grooved and corniced stacks.

S ELEVATION: 10-bay with regular fenestration; 2nd, 6th and 10th bay slightly advanced with shaped gables; doorways to 6th and 10th.

W BLOCK: 3-bay front elevation with deeply moulded doorway at centre accessed by steps, bipartite windows with timber mullions flanking; single windows at 1st floor; shaped gable with blank panel over centre bay. Return elevation to courtyard 4-bay with single windows and gables with gablehead stacks to outer bays. Return elevation to W as above with crenellations and gablehead stack to centre.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: reconstructed and extended in recent conversion.

Timber sash and case windows, W block mostly plate glass glazing, hospital block with modern 12-pane windows. Slate roofs; 5 gablehead stacks, mutual stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen 1993.

GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: coped gatepiers and ornamental iron arrowhead railings.

Statement of Interest

B group with former St Thomas Church, now Guru Nanak Gurdawara Singh Sabha Sikh Temple (listed separately). Founded by Sir John Gladstone of Fasque as a memorial to his family. It consisted of the church, manse, schoolhouse and hospital for ten female incurables.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.