This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9746 / 55°58'28"N
Longitude: -3.1726 / 3°10'21"W
OS Eastings: 326914
OS Northings: 676356
OS Grid: NT269763
Mapcode National: GBR 8S5.VR
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.73G3
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 4, 5, Parliament Street, Model Lodging House
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365175
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27837
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
James Simpson, 1893, signed and dated. 4-storey and raised basement 9-bay model lodging house on sloping ground with 2-storey addition to rear. Cream sandstone with red dressings, coursed and squared rubble with droved dressings to front, squared and snecked rubble with stugged dressings to rear and sides. Tall ashlar base course with crenellation detailing; cornice above ground floor; cill band courses to all floors; eaves band and cornice.
SW (FRONT) ELEVATION: pedimented centre bay slightly advanced with tall basket-arched tripartite doorpiece, moulded reveals, panelled door, large plate glass fanlight over decorative timber brackets; ashlar panel above with inscription; 1st and 2nd floor windows corniced in ashlar panel; single window at 3rd floor. Single windows to remaining bays.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey brick-built service wing with piend roof to centre; single windows to remaining bays, some blocked to centre bays. Wallhead stack to left of centre.
NW ELEVATION: 3-bay; single windows; central wallhead stack.
SE ELEVATION: as above.
4-pane timber sash and case windows to ground floor, modern replacement windows above. Piend and platform slate roof with metal flashings;
3 wallhead stacks (see above). Moulded eaves gutters.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
The inscription above the front door reads ?Leith Improvement Scheme Model Lodging House erected by the Magistrates & Council, Thomas Aitken, provost, Andrew Archibald, bailie and convener. James Simpson, architect, 1893. The model lodging house movement aimed at providing cheap and well managed overnight accommodation for the many transient workers. They became widespread in the larger cities in the second half of the 19th century, with the Corporation of Glasgow at one time owning 13 model lodging houses. The building is still used as a hostel today.
Other nearby listed buildings