This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9734 / 55°58'24"N
Longitude: -3.1657 / 3°9'56"W
OS Eastings: 327343
OS Northings: 676217
OS Grid: NT273762
Mapcode National: GBR 8V6.75
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.B4R0
Entry Name: 61 Queen Charlotte Street with Boundary Walls, Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365213
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27867
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Later 18th century. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical villa with classical details, semi-circular bowed addition to rear (circa 1820) and single storey addition to right. Grey sandstone, coursed rubble with polished ashlar dressings to front. Ashlar quoin strips; dentilled eaves cornice with blocking course.
S (FRONT) ELEVATION: deep-set doorway at centre, Doric columned doorpiece with fluted paterae frieze and cornice; single window at 1st floor above. Outer bays with single windows to ground and 1st floor. Harled screen wall to 1st floor level to outer right with tall round-arched opening with 2 semi-circular fanlights (mostly of later 20th century date) and with lower flat-roofed addition behind.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: large 2-storey projecting bowed addition (circa 1820) at centre with conical roof and 3 windows to ground and 1st floor, wallhead stack on W flank.
E ELEVATION: gabled with apex stack; single windows to left bay and to gablehead.
W ELEVATION: gabled with apex stack; single windows to centre bay, at 1st floor with iron window guard.
Timber sash and case windows, mostly plate glass glazing, 12-pane windows to rear. Slate roof with metal ridge; 2 apex stack (see above), 1 wallhead stack (see above), new cans; velux rooflights.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATES AND RAILINGS: low boundary wall to front with saddleback coping, 2 square coped gatepiers, swept 2-leaf iron gates.
The rough nature of the stonework and the raised margins strongly suggest that the villa was harled originally. Present owner added the stone eagles as angle finials and designed the east addition in its present form.
Other nearby listed buildings