This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9705 / 55°58'13"N
Longitude: -3.1686 / 3°10'6"W
OS Eastings: 327158
OS Northings: 675891
OS Grid: NT271758
Mapcode National: GBR 8T7.N7
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.96D9
Entry Name: Edinburgh, St Andrew Place, Leith Academy Primary School
Listing Date: 5 March 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365226
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27877
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
George Craig, dated 1898. Large 3-storey and basement 18-bay rectangular-plan symmetrical Free Renaissance school with central tower feature. Red sandstone ashlar front with cream sandstone details, cream squared and snecked rubble to rear and sides with red dressings. Base course; band cill courses; eaves cornice.
N (FRONT) ELEVATION: squat engaged 4-storey entrance tower to centre,
3 bays divided by pilasters, paired angle pilasters; tripartite windows to centre bays; tall round-arched doorway to centre flanked by windows with scrolled panels above, 2-leaf panelled door and radial fanlight; corbelled semi-circular balcony above with balustraded parapet; balustraded apron to 3rd floor tripartite; French pavilion roof with arcaded and louvred squared dome cupola and gilt weathervane. 3 flanking bays recessed with regular fenestration and inscription 'Leith Academy'. 3-bay advanced pavilions, bays divided by pilasters with bipartite windows to centre, balustraded aprons at 1st and 2nd floor, 2nd floor window to centre round-arched and breaking eaves in pediment.
W ELEVATION: 6-bay, regular fenestration; advanced stairtower to right of centre with tall transomed tripartite windows, round-arched at 3rd floor; swagged clock tower with finialled copper dome, polygonal, arcaded cupola with leaded ogival roof behind. Bay to outer right blank with panel commemorating opening of 'Leith Academy & Technical College'. Shouldered wallhead stack to outer left.
E ELEVATION: stair tower to centre with transomed tripartite windows, cupola as above; irregular fenestration to flanking bays; shouldered wallhead stack to outer left.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: broad advanced centre bay with 4 windows closely spaced; regular fenestration to outer bays; shouldered wallhead stack to outer right.
6-pane timber hopper windows. Grey slate piended roof with metal flashings; 3 wallhead stacks (see above). Moulded eaves gutter.
INTERIOR: decorative tiled dado to hall, stairs and corridors, glass screen walls with border glazing, corbelled janitor's box with large projecting clock, decorative ironmongery to doors.
GATEPIERS: stylised gatepiers with domed and finialled coping and inscribed lettering, low rubble walls with plain railings.
A gymnasium and workshops also by Craig, to the rear, were opened in 1920.
Other nearby listed buildings