This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9706 / 55°58'14"N
Longitude: -3.1693 / 3°10'9"W
OS Eastings: 327118
OS Northings: 675910
OS Grid: NT271759
Mapcode National: GBR 8T7.J5
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.9625
Entry Name: Edinburgh, St Andrew Place, St Andrew's Church
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365227
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27878
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
John and James Rutherford, builders, 1826-7. Small 3-bay rectangular-plan classical church. Cream sandstone, polished ashlar front, coursed and squared rubble to rear and sides with stugged dressings. Base course; shallow angle pilasters; broad frieze, eaves cornice and blocking course.
NE (FRONT) ELEVATION: centre bay slightly advanced with pedimented tetrastyle Ionic portico, doorway with shouldered architrave, 2-leaf panelled door and plate glass fanlight, flanked by blind niches. Ground floor windows of outer bays (blocked) with shouldered architraves and blank aprons; small blind windows above.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: eaves band; tall round-arched tripartite window (centre light bricked-up), outer lights with centre mullion and oculus, remains of non-figurative stained glass to head of left window.
NW ELEVATION: 4-bay; single windows (boarded and bricked up) with shallow segmental-arched heads to ground and gallery level.
SE ELEVATION: as above.
Shallow slate roof. Round-arched bipartite timber frames to side elevations.
INTERIOR: curved gallery stairways with timber hand to vestibule; curved N wall to main hall; galleries removed, walls stripped, gallery doors blocked; impressive queenpost timber roof.
Now disused. The architects John or James Tait, William Bell, Archibald Scott and James Anderson all submitted designs for the church, but it is unknown who was responsible for the design chosen.
Other nearby listed buildings