This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9774 / 55°58'38"N
Longitude: -3.1687 / 3°10'7"W
OS Eastings: 327163
OS Northings: 676661
OS Grid: NT271766
Mapcode National: GBR 8T4.MR
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.90BZ
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 6 Shore, Works
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365235
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27887
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Archibald Thomson, 1885. 3-storey engineering workshop and foundry incorporating earlier remains. Red brick with coursed and squared rubble walls up to 1st floor level to Tower Street.
W (SHORE) ELEVATION: 5-bay; 3 bays to right gabled and 3-storey with large rectangular and smaller secondary doorway; single segmental- arched windows above. 2 bays to left 2-storey (truncated after fire) with secondary door and segmental-arched windows.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: 4 bays of engineering workshop to left with segmental-arched windows. Tall tapering stalk and link block with broad tripartite window at 1st floor to centre. Gable elevation of foundry to right with 2 segmental-arched windows at 1st floor.
S (TIMBER BUSH) ELEVATION: 4-bay with tall full-length round-arched windows.
N (TOWER STREET) ELEVATION: 7-bay; rubble ground floor; large rectangular doorway to left; segmental-arched windows at 1st floor; wallhead raised.
12-pane fixed windows, some cast-iron frames, some modern replacements. Corrugated iron roofs with iron bracing and skylights.
INTERIOR: steel beam construction; main assembly space with heavy cast-iron stanchions with pierced webs carrying gantry beam (original crane); stanchions of same dimensions to former foundry.
A group with Nos 1, 2 Shore and 1 Tower Street and No 3 Shore. Originally built for Messr John Cran & Co. Good example of medium sized engineering workshop with interesting layout and original construction and retaining machinery, contributing well to the streetscape. A fire in the post-war years destroyed top storey of workshop.
Other nearby listed buildings