This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9761 / 55°58'33"N
Longitude: -3.1694 / 3°10'9"W
OS Eastings: 327122
OS Northings: 676515
OS Grid: NT271765
Mapcode National: GBR 8T5.H7
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.9210
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 59 Bernard Street
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365242
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27890
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 18th century, possibly incorporating earlier remains; restored Robert Hurd & Partners, 1972-8. 2-storey and attic, gabled corner tenement, public house at ground floor, and lower 4-bay tenement with central pend to Bernard Street. Harled with sandstone margins (dressings to windows painted). Ashlar strip quoins; pub front with regular rectangular openings divided by shallow pilasters, dentilled cornice, chamfered and corbelled N corner.
NW (SHORE) ELEVATION: 6-bay; public house at ground floor; 2 centre bays raised in nepus gable with windows flanking flue line, single windows to remaining bays. 2 single catslide dormers flanking gable. To outer right remains of No 37 Shore, single storey wall with corniced ashlar doorway (now blocked), lugged roll-moulded architrave, broken scrolled swan-neck pediment enclosing elaborately carved cartouche, dated 1711 with entwined monogram.
NE (BERNARD STREET) ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation of Shore building to right, wallhead raised with broad apex stack; single windows to 1st and 2nd floor, 2 small windows to 3rd floor. 4-bay tenement to left; round-arched roll-moulded pend to centre; 2 window flanking to right; small shop window and very low corniced doorway to left; remains to forestair to outer left. Single windows at 1st and 2nd floor, irregularly placed; chamfered reveals to small 1st floor window to outer right. 2 paired catslide dormers.
SW ELEVATION: gabled with irregularly raised wallhead and broad apex stack; remains of openings and fire places (bolection moulded at 3rd floor level).
S (REAR) ELEVATION: single windows; paired and single catslide dormers.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Dark slate roof with metal ridge, steeply pitched to Nos 59-65 Bernard Street; 3 apex stacks (see above). Ashlar skews and scrolled skewputts.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
The above are among the few early buildings in Leith to have survived. They occupy (and formed part of) the site of the so-called King?s Wark, an enclosed area established in the 15th century by James I, designed to serve as royal residence, store-house and armoury.
Other nearby listed buildings