This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9758 / 55°58'32"N
Longitude: -3.1699 / 3°10'11"W
OS Eastings: 327088
OS Northings: 676484
OS Grid: NT270764
Mapcode National: GBR 8T5.DB
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.82S6
Entry Name: 45 and 46 Shore
Listing Date: 10 April 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365246
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27892
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Dated 1912. 3-storey and attic, 4-bay L-plan former warehouse with Queen Anne and Scottish Renaissance details, recently restored and converted to offices. Channelled red sandstone ashlar ground floor and ashlar dressings, harled brickwork. Eaves cornice; basket-arched openings at ground floor; quoin strips; keystoned rectangular windows at 1st floor; tall 2nd floor windows segmental-arched and keystoned; crowstepped gables with corbelled beak skewputts.
NW (SHORE) ELEVATION: timber pub front to left (modern); to right doorway flanked by smaller windows with recessed and battered aprons; chamfered and corbelled corner to outer right. Above 3 advanced gabled bays to right with single windows at 1st floor. 2nd floor windows each set in taller recessed panels with quoin strips incorporating small segmental-arched corniced and keystoned windows at 3rd (attic) floor, cornice raised at centre window for carved date. Small rectangular window to gablehead with Gibbsian surround and segmental-arched keystoned cornice. Bay to left with single windows as above and catslide dormer.
SW (BROAD WYND) ELEVATION: 6-bay; irregularly-spaced openings with sparing ashlar dressings. Cill band courses at 1st and 2nd floors. Small windows at ground floor. Bay to left slightly recessed with small windows breaking eaves in crowstepped hoist head with catslide roof. To right giant segmental-arched recesses with round-arched windows at 1st floor, to left semi-circular window at 3rd floor, to right small rectangular windows.
NE ELEVATION: gabled jamb to right with broad apex stack and remains of party wall, 2 single windows (modern window guards). To left vertically paired windows at 2nd floor, all window guards modern.
Multi- and small-pane timber casements and fixed pane windows. Modern red interlocking pantile roof; apex stack (see above), narrow stack stack to NE; large velux rooflights. Ashlar skews; corbelled skewputts. Moulded eaves gutter.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Possibly designed by John A Carfrae whose Tynecastle School, Mcleod Street, Edinburgh (1910-11) employed a similar free Renaissance.
Other nearby listed buildings