This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9764 / 55°58'34"N
Longitude: -3.1686 / 3°10'7"W
OS Eastings: 327168
OS Northings: 676549
OS Grid: NT271765
Mapcode National: GBR 8T5.N3
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.91CR
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 54 Timber Bush, Warehouse
Listing Date: 28 November 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365263
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27908
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early to mid 19th century, E range possibly slightly earlier (see Notes). Pair of 5-storey, 5-bay symmetrical converted warehouses, identical above ground. Cream sandstone, coursed and squared rubble to front, coursed rubble to rear with droved dressings.
NE (FRONT) ELEVATION: E range with segmental-arched pend to outer left with rounded arrises to jambs; segmental-arched larger opening to centre bay; single windows to remaining bays. W range with wider openings at ground floor, doorway to centre and outer right. Above ground floor each warehouse with hoist doors to centre bays breaking eaves with hoists to gablehead, modern hinged loading platforms. 4th floor windows horizontally proportioned. Single windows to remaining bays.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: 6-bay W range advanced by 2 bays; 2 large openings (now glazed) to centre. E range with segmental-arched pend and opening; single windows above; forestair in re-entrant angle rising to outer right bay at 4th floor with gabled dormerhead. 4th floor windows as above.
Modern small-pane timber casement windows. Slate roof.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Thomson?s ?Plan of Leith and Environs? of 1827 shows a large warehouse on the site of the W range and Nos 58, 59 Timberbush (listed separately), the latter probably being a remnant of this earlier building. The E range was probably erected during the 1830s, its masonry detailing seems slightly earlier than that of the W range. The complex has been restored and converted to office and residential use.
Other nearby listed buildings