This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9765 / 55°58'35"N
Longitude: -3.169 / 3°10'8"W
OS Eastings: 327145
OS Northings: 676558
OS Grid: NT271765
Mapcode National: GBR 8T5.L3
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.916P
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 58, 59 Timber Bush
Listing Date: 28 November 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365265
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27910
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 19th century. 4-storey, 3-bay gabled warehouse, originally 3-storey, heightened probably later 19th century, now converted to offices. Cream sandstone, coursed and squared rubble, coursed rubble to rear and side with droved dressings; heightened in red brick to rear and side, sandstone rubble to front.
NE (FRONT) ELEVATION: gabled; large rectangular opening (now glazed) to left and centre; hoist doors off-centre above with loading and pulley mechanism to 3rd floor door, modern hinged loading platforms; single window at 1st floor to right. Single windows to right bay (enlarged at 3rd floor).
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: loading doors off-centre to right with modern hinged loading platforms, hoist beam opening blocked. Single door at 2nd floor to right. Single windows to left bay.
NW ELEVATION: single window at ground floor to centre; single windows at 2nd and 3rd floor to 3 centre bays.
Modern small-pane timber casement windows. Slate roof.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
The 1817 and 1827 maps of the area show a large warehouse belonging to W Hall & Co on the site. This probably consisted of a 3-gabled building, two of the gables being demolished, possibly in the 1830s, to make way for the larger warehouse at Nos 54-57.
Other nearby listed buildings