This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9068 / 55°54'24"N
Longitude: -3.1197 / 3°7'10"W
OS Eastings: 330097
OS Northings: 668756
OS Grid: NT300687
Mapcode National: GBR 60N4.DD
Mapcode Global: WH6SV.1SQM
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Gilmerton, the Drum, Mercat Cross
Listing Date: 14 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365481
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28053
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Liberton/Gilmerton
Traditional County: Midlothian
Dated 1892. Sited to SE of stables. Large sandstone ashlar cross of cruciform arms mounted on tall polygonal column, square base with inscription. Facsimilie of shaft and capital of Edinburgh Mercat Cross.
Inscription reads: "Erected in memory of the old Mercat Cross of Edinburgh which stood at The Drum from 1756 to 1866. This Monument was erected November 1882". Edinburgh?s Mercat Cross was orginally sited to the E of St Giles Cathedral. It was dismantled and damaged in the process a number of times between 1558 and 1756 when it was removed and re-erected at The Drum where it remained until 1866. It was illustrated in situ in watercolour by James Drummond (1861) (NMRS Printroom). It was returned to Edinburgh and erected within a railing to the N of St Giles. In 1885 it was placed in its present position at the E end of St Giles Cathedral. Forms part of a Category A group with other buildings on The Drum Estate: The Drum, East Lodges (In Newton Parish Midlothian), Gardeners' Cottages, Icehouses, Stables, Steading, Walled Garden, West Lodge, Drumbank and North Gatepiers.
Other nearby listed buildings