This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9796 / 55°58'46"N
Longitude: -3.1882 / 3°11'17"W
OS Eastings: 325950
OS Northings: 676932
OS Grid: NT259769
Mapcode National: GBR 8P3.PY
Mapcode Global: WH6SF.0Y2T
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Newhaven, 1 Annfield
Listing Date: 17 October 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 365887
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB28256
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
Begun circa 1806, completed circa 1850. Long terrace of 3-storey plain classical tenements, with 2-storey tenement at No 14. Coursed stugged sandstone; raised and polished margins (some painted); projecting cills; long and short surrounds to openings. Single storey, flat-roofed shops built out at Nos 3 and 4. Public House set in Nos 9, 10 and 11 with pilastered ground floor. No 13 and 14 cleaned coursed yellow rubble sandstone. No 14 2-storey, 3-bay with 2-window pedimented chimney gable to centre. Nos 16-19 coursed stugged yellow sandstone; droved surrounds to openings; projecting cills. Pend through No 19 to Annfield Street at rear.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: variety of doorways to ground floor; some original 3-light fanlights; some infilled; some plate glass; single windows in remaining bays to ground floor. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors. Ground floor to No 3 and 4 blocked by modern extension; Doric pilasters and architraved windows to Nos 9, 10 and 11. Regular arrangement to Nos 15-19; entries in central bay; 3-light fanlights to Nos 14-16; plate glass fanlights to Nos 17-19; flanking single windows to ground; regularly fenestrated to remaining floors. Basket-arched pend through No 19 in bay to outer right; polished voussoirs; raised keystone.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: various single storey additions in render, rubble and sandstone. Random rubble stair tower to rear No 13 with conical roof and flanking piended grey slate dormers.
Variety of timber sash and case windows and modern glazing. Grey slate roof in diminishing courses; coped rendered and rubble ridge stacks with circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1996.
Prior to the reclamation of land to its N, the terrace used to front Annfield Beach with its ball-finialled iron railings and sloping rubble shoreline. Today, the block is cut off from the sea by a main road that runs along the N whilst the mills and depots built on the land reclaimed opposite have obliterated the once fine view. Nos 20-25 were demolished in 1962 to make way for Basil Spence?s development in New Lane. Nevertheless, that which is left retains homogeneity and architectural interest, remaining relatively unchanged since its completion around 1850. Note the consistent roofline.
Other nearby listed buildings