This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9806 / 55°58'50"N
Longitude: -3.1958 / 3°11'44"W
OS Eastings: 325482
OS Northings: 677046
OS Grid: NT254770
Mapcode National: GBR 8N3.5M
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.WYC2
Entry Name: 5 Westmost Close
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 368803
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29281
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
Mid to later 18th century, recast and converted by Ian Lindsay & Partners, circa 1970. 2-storey, 4-bay rectangular-plan vernacular- style house forming part of terrace. Harled and limewashed; raised and painted cement surrounds to openings; exterior stairs with timber railings to 1st floor.
W (WESTMOST CLOSE) ELEVATION: 2 timber boarded doors to ground set in stair recess (originally separate property); storage door beneath stairs. 2 timber boarded doors to 1st floor in central bay (left blocked, right No 5). Single windows to both floors in bays to outer left and right.
E (BURIAL GROUND) ELEVATION: single windows to both floors in bays to outer left and right.
12-pane timber sash and case windows to both elevations. Machine-made red pantiled roof with grey slate easing course; precast concrete skews. Harled mutual ridge stack to N, harled apex stack to S; precast concrete copes and circular cans to both.
B Group with Nos 2, 3 and 6 Westmost Close (see separate list entries). One of many properties refurbished by Ian Lindsay & Partners during the 1970s, it has features common to all - standard detailing to the stair railing, harled and limewashed walls, precast concrete copes and skews, red pantiles and new timber sash and case windows. Note throughout, the retention of the Scottish fishing village vernacular with exterior stairs, a modest facade and simple proportions. Compare with Cross Wynd, Falkland or St Moran?s, Fife, both of which were recorded by Lindsay. Despite harsh detailing and element of standardisation, the practice?s Newhaven work should be acknowledged as a pioneering attempt to conserve and improve an entire fishing village. A substantial project with a clear philosophy, it contrasts with more recent restoration attempts and thus, illustrates the differing and developing attitudes towards conservation. House adjoins ruined W wall of St Mary and St James? Chapel, 1508. Previously listed as Main Street, Westmost Close 11-14.
Other nearby listed buildings