This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9806 / 55°58'49"N
Longitude: -3.1931 / 3°11'35"W
OS Eastings: 325651
OS Northings: 677039
OS Grid: NT256770
Mapcode National: GBR 8N3.QM
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.XYN3
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Newhaven, 5 Peacock Court
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 368811
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29286
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
Mid to later 18th century; recast and converted by Ian Lindsay & Partners, circa 1970. 3-storey, 2-bay block forming part of courtyard set back from No 5; 2-bay to rear. Rectangular-plan with full-height advanced bay to left of centre. Harled and limewashed; raised and painted cement surrounds to openings; exterior stairs with timber railings to 1st floor.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber door to ground in central bay (left No 3, right No 4). Storage door set beneath stairs to right; timber door to left. Single windows to ground in bays to outer left and right. Stairs to 1st floor entry (left No 1, right No 2); storage door to left. Single windows in bays to left and right.
E (REAR) ELEVATION): 2-bay. S wall to No 5 overlaps rear facade. Regularly fenestrated to ground and 1st floors.
12-pane timber sash and case windows to both elevations. Machine-made red pantiled roof; precast concrete skews. Harled apex stacks to N and S with concrete coping and circular cans.
B Group with 5 Peacock Court (see separate list entry). 2 large stone boulders are set within the rear courtyard, abutting the S wall of the adjacent property. It is thought that they were originally part of the old sea wall. One of many properties refurbished by Ian Lindsay & Partners during the 1970s, Nos 1, 2, 3 and 4 display characteristics common to all - standard detailing to the stair railing; harled and limewashed facades, precast concrete copes, red pantiles and new timber sash and case windows. Note throughout, the attempt to retain the Scottish fishing village vernacular with exterior stairs, modest facades and simple proportions. Compare with Cross Wynd, Falkland or St. Moran?s, Fife - both of which were recorded by Lindsay. Despite harsh detailing and element of standardisation, the practice?s Newhaven work should be acknowledged as a pioneering attempt to conserve and improve an entire fishing village. A substantial project with a clear philosophy, it contrasts with more recent restoration attempts and thus, illustrates the differing and developing attitudes towards conservation. Previously listed with the Peacock Hotel (see Ordnance Survey, 1876).
Other nearby listed buildings