This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9804 / 55°58'49"N
Longitude: -3.1929 / 3°11'34"W
OS Eastings: 325661
OS Northings: 677018
OS Grid: NT256770
Mapcode National: GBR 8N3.RP
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.XYR8
Entry Name: 8 Newhaven Main Street
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 368812
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29287
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 19th century; converted by Ian Lindsay & Partners, circa 1970 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical, rectangular-plan house with shop at ground facing Main Street. Squared and snecked rubble sandstone; stugged long and short surrounds to openings; long and short rubble quoins. Painted window surrounds; projecting cills; external timber shutters to ground floor windows. Random rubble to rear and side elevations; droved surrounds to openings. Exterior stair with iron railings to 1st floor.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: entry to ground in central bay; flanking single windows; timber shutters to outside jambs. Regularly fenestrated at 1st floor.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: stair to entry at 1st floor; flat-roofed boarded timber porch; single windows in bays to outer left and right. Blinded single window to ground in bay to outer left.
Replacement 12-pane timber casement windows to ground floor, S elevation; 12-pane timber sash and case windows to 1st floor and to all openings to rear. Grey slate roof in diminishing courses; stone skews. Coped apex stacks to E and W with circular cans.
INTERIOR: ground floor altered extensively to accommodate general store.
Described by Gifford, McWilliam and Walker as a "...chunky stone-fronted house with a general store underneath". One of many Newhaven properties refurbished by Ian Lindsay & Partners during the 1970s, care was taken to ensure the retention of original character - the timber shutters being kept, new timber sash and case windows installed and the roof reslated. Despite its rendered rear stair, timber porch and blocked openings, the building remains a focal point in Newhaven Main Street. Originally listed as Main Street, 51 and
1 Peacock Court.
Other nearby listed buildings