History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edinburgh, Newhaven, 204 Newhaven Road

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9781 / 55°58'41"N

Longitude: -3.1928 / 3°11'34"W

OS Eastings: 325662

OS Northings: 676763

OS Grid: NT256767

Mapcode National: GBR 8N4.RJ

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.X0SG

Entry Name: Edinburgh, Newhaven, 204 Newhaven Road

Listing Date: 17 October 1996

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 369227

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29400

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Unitary Authority Ward: Leith

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Granton

Description

Early 19th century. 2-storey, 6-bay pair of symmetrical classical houses forming terrace. Lightly stugged coursed cream sandstone to principal elevation; rubble side and rear elevations. Raised and polished long and short quoins; continuous base course and bracketted cornice. Projecting cills to 1st floor windows. Columned doorpieces to centre; flanking tripartite windows. Later squared and snecked stugged sandstone flat-roofed addition to right.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: Roman Doric columned doorpieces to central bays; plain frieze; projecting cornice above. Timber panelled doors; plate glass fanlight to 204; geometric fanlight to 202; single windows above. Tripartite windows in bays to left and right of centre; single windows to 1st floor. Stable and hayloft converted to garage adjoins 202 to outer right; flat roof.

Replacement windows to No 202; 2-pane timber sash and case windows to No 204. Grey slate roof with stone skews. Corniced gablehead stacks; mutual wallhead stack to centre with original cans.

INTERIORS: not seen 1996.

COACH HOUSE: single storey building set back from No 204. Random red sandstone rubble; long and short rubble quoins; single window (hayloft door?) at centre; ventilation holes (doocot flight holes?) set in stone above. Pitched roof.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIER: coped squared and snecked stugged sandstone wall to street. Ashlar pier to left; projecting base and string course; pyramidal stone cap.

Statement of Interest

The 1855 Ordnance Survey map refers to both houses as having formed part of the Cherry Bank Estate with extensive gardens and open land to rear. Nos 208-216 Newhaven Road were part of the same estate.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.