This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9819 / 55°58'54"N
Longitude: -3.1948 / 3°11'41"W
OS Eastings: 325545
OS Northings: 677188
OS Grid: NT255771
Mapcode National: GBR 8N3.C4
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.WXV3
Entry Name: 24 (Heritage Museum) and 25 (Restaurant) Pier Place, Newhaven Fishmarket
Listing Date: 28 November 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 371029
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB30221
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
1896; restored and converted into retail outlet (1993) and Heritage Museum (1994). Single-storey, 26 by 2-bay fishmarket aligned N - S along Newhaven pier. Cast iron and steel-framed shed with timber boarded arcaded sides; squared and snecked red rubble sandstone ends. Polished red sandstone dressings; long and short quoins; curvilinear block skewputts.
S (PIER PLACE) ELEVATION: symmetrical, twin-gabled end. Single large elliptical arched windows in each bay. Droved voussoir surrounds; pedimented keystones to both. Timber transoms and mullions; small-paned glazing pattern.
E AND W (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: 26 segmental-arched bays between cast-iron pilasters. Boarded sliding doors in each bay retained in E elevation; plate glazing incorporated in W elevation. Vertically-glazed fanlights above each opening. Timber gablet at 14th bay with tapering finial and sculpted base. Architraved oculus set in apex; clock face set within gable. Concrete base with loading platform for carts runs from E to W; steel beams overhead.
Multi-paned glazing to N and S; plate glazing to E elevation. Grey slate M-roof with long skylights to inner faces. Original rainwater goods to S. Ventilators removed.
INTERIOR: converted to fit new function but retains original features. Retail outlet to S, museum to centre, fishmarket to N. Central row of square cast-iron piers carries steel beam and occasional light steel cross girders. Steel Polonceau truss roof.
On reclaimed land E of Newhaven Pier surrounded by a setted roadway. Newhaven fishmarket had previously been held outdoors but the introduction of rail and steamboats reduced its prosperity by giving other fishing villages the opportunity to send catches further afield to more profitable markets. Newhaven Fishmarket, a concept conceived by Henry Dempster, the Ancient Mariner and native of the village, was intended to revive the area?s fortunes. Fish was to be sent here daily by rail and a wholesale fishing system created. This it was and Newhaven again prospered. Although only partly in use as a market (the remainder now a museum and a fish & chip shop), the original atmosphere has been retained. Recent restoration has been sympathetic and life subsequently injected into a building which had been facing partial redundancy. Timber gabled saw-toothed roofed sheds formerly ran parallel to the market beside the pier (see McGowran, p104). Original railings and gatepiers have been removed for road widening. Modern steel railings flank police box at Pier Place.