This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.478 / 55°28'40"N
Longitude: -2.5512 / 2°33'4"W
OS Eastings: 365260
OS Northings: 620597
OS Grid: NT652205
Mapcode National: GBR B5M3.G4
Mapcode Global: WH8YH.SKCW
Entry Name: Canongate Bridge
Listing Date: 16 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380055
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35471
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Jedburgh and District
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
16th century. Coursed cream sandstone bridge with a mixture of masonry finishes (resulting from later repairs) mostly droved and ashlar; also some pink sandstone patching. 3 segmental arches, (1 as overflow arch) each with 4 chamfered ribs on soffit; E arch now with only 2. Piers with cutwaters supporting canted refuges at road level. Parapet wall with quadrants and steps at either end; saddleback ashledr coping. Roadway hump-backed, varying in width from 9'6" to 9'10".
Scheduled Monument. According to the Royal Commission INVENTORY the bridge is an 'unusually fine 16th century structure', although it is often thought to have been much older. It formerly had a gateway at its centre. It seems to have been repaired every hundred years; in 1677 it was declared to be in a dangerous condition; $22 10/- was spent on it in 1772; it was also very thoroughly, and not entirely sympathetically, restored recently. The two E refuges have several chamfered rybats inserted in their parapets; these presumably came from a church.
Other nearby listed buildings