This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 56.3923 / 56°23'32"N
Longitude: -3.4287 / 3°25'43"W
OS Eastings: 311896
OS Northings: 723137
OS Grid: NO118231
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.19MX
Mapcode Global: WH6QC.9LJG
Entry Name: 1-14 (Inclusive Nos) Marshall Place and 2 and 4 Nelson Street Including Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 20 May 1965
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 385255
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39552
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Perth City Centre
Traditional County: Perthshire
Robert Reid, 1809-1832 (see Notes). Symmetrical, 31-bay terraced run comprising: advanced 3-storey, 5-bay section to centre; 2-storey, 10-bay attic and basement sections to left and right; advanced 3-storey, 3-storey, 3-bay outer pavilions to either end. Pale sandstone ashlar (part painted) with raised cills to ground; continous cill course to 1st floor; moulded cornice. Steps over-sailing basement to main door entrances.
Central section: recessed round-arched windows to ground (radial fanlights to doorways at outer bays of central section); consoled cornices to windows at 1st floor; central Diocletian lunette to 2nd floor; stepped blocking course above.
End pavilions with recessed round-arched windows to ground and central lunette windows at 2nd floor. Consoled windows to 1st floor (E pavilion only). Pyramidal roofs.
Predominantly 12-pane and plate glass glazing to timber sash and case windows. Tall and broad coped ridge stacks with clay cans. Grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Various canted dormers throughout run.
INTERIOR: Some properties with fine curving cantilevered staircases. Partially oval-plan form to some principal rooms with paired curved timber doors. Wide variety of plaster and marble chimneypieces, columned and consoled entrance halls and other Classical detailing dispersed throughout the run.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: rubble wall with ashlar coping fronting Marshall Place, some with cast-iron railings.
Part of an A-Group comprising: '1-3 (Inclusive Nos) King's Place and 1-3 (Inclusive Nos) King James Place and 55 and 57 King Street and Boundary Wall'; '4 and 5 King's Place'; '6 King's Place, Pedigree House'; 'Marshall Place, St Leonard's-in-the-Fields Church and Halls (Church of Scotland), Including Boundary Wall and Gatepiers'; '1-14 (Inclusive Nos) Marshall Place and 2 and 4 Nelson Street Including Boundary Walls And Railings'; '15-28 (Inclusive Nos) Marshall Place, 1 and 3 Nelson Street and 110 Scott Street Including Boundary Walls and Railings' and 'South Inch at Foot of King Street, Statue to Sir Walter Scott' (see separate listings).
One of a pair of consecutive monumental palace blocks, Nos 1-14 Marshall Place and its mirror counterpart at Nos 15-28 Marshall Place (see separate listing) present a significant portion of the South face of the city, bordering South Inch Park. Designed by eminent Classicist Robert Reid, the simple massing and compositional regularity and unity of the run survives broadly intact, contributing to the wider streetscape setting. The use of round-arched openings and lunette windows at central sections and outer pavilions provide visual focus, adding to the grouping.
Historically, Marshall Place was the starting point for an ambitious scheme for a 'Southern New Town' in Perth consisting of a gridiron plan of grand Georgian terraces along similar lines to master planner Robert Reid's Northern extension of Edinburgh's New Town including Drummond Place and Great King Street (see separate listings). The Marshall Place blocks, albeit in a scaled-down form, are the foremost representatives of the plan to reach fruition. The plans for Marshall Place were commissioned in 1801 although work did not begin until 1806 and was not completed until 1833 due to unfavouarable economic conditions and a series of legal and financial wranglings.
List description updated at resurvey (2009).
Other nearby listed buildings