This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.6037 / 55°36'13"N
Longitude: -4.4579 / 4°27'28"W
OS Eastings: 245250
OS Northings: 637195
OS Grid: NS452371
Mapcode National: GBR 3J.N1NW
Mapcode Global: WH3QB.HDDZ
Entry Name: Hurlford, Main Road, Hurlford Parish Church
Listing Date: 7 December 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389258
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42950
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
J Ingram of Kilmarnock, 1875. Gothic church with steeple; manse alongside, recessed and adjoining at right; all built of rock-faced red ashlar, red-ridged slate roofs, and all set within own grounds, with boundary wall to street, iron-railed and also rock-faced ashlar, Gothic gatepiers.
CHURCH: gabled front to main road with wide entrance (sculptured marble roundel in tympanum); steeple to right alongside; essentially rectangular-plan. Unusually elaborate interior; pulpit, back-board, organ and organ gallery all very lavish; 3-sided gallery and 2-level aisles, decorative columns with foliate capitals; decorative plasterwork and open-timber roof; painted, leaded glass.
MANSE: 2-storeys, L-plan front, Gothic porch in re-entrant angle carried upwards with paired lancets; plate glass sash windows.
No longer in ecclesaistical use.
The congregation of the church and the United Free church amalgamated in 1996, and the Free Church also on Main Road, was chosen as the joint place of worship. The organ and memorial stained glass window from this church were removed to the former Free Church at about that time. The former Free Church, now Hurlford Church, is listed seperately.
Other nearby listed buildings