This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9181 / 55°55'5"N
Longitude: -4.3207 / 4°19'14"W
OS Eastings: 255067
OS Northings: 671884
OS Grid: NS550718
Mapcode National: GBR 3P.02X9
Mapcode Global: WH3NV.LHRX
Entry Name: Bearsden, 100 Milngavie Road, Buchanan Retreat
Listing Date: 23 July 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390041
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43521
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Local Authority Ward: Bearsden South
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Predominantly late 19th century, built in stages 1861-1899. 2-storey Tudor gothic former residential home with castellated tower, now municipal offices. Rectangular-plan. Bull-faced red sandstone with ashlar dressings, stonecleaned with acid late 1980s; base course, chamfered arrises. Corbelled parapet to outer pavilion bays.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 9-bay elevation with 2-storey entrance bay advanced to centre with round-arched, hoodmoulded arch to porch, colonnettes flanking, short flight of steps; acarved armorial above with string course continuous with flanking bays as cill course to 1st floor window; stepped gablehead with angle and apex shafts and blank tablet. Pointed-arch arcade flanking, 3 bays to left, 4 to right with sturdy sandstone shafts and composite capitals, cross-mullioned windows behind, and windows with gabled dormerheads at 1st floor above; arcade open to right return, closed to left by advanced pavilion bay with
large rectangular hoodmoulded window at ground and 1st floor window with piend-roofed dormerhead.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: altered post 1918 with 5-bay with large 5-part window spanning pavilion elevation under hoodmould, with smaller 5-light (timber mullioned) window above at centre, flanked by windows breaking eaves in mansarded dormerheads.
TOWER: breaking eaves to rear, set in re-entrant angle formed with end of pavilion block and recessed rear elevation. Door at ground on return with fanlight and cornice; blinded panels at 3rd stage, machicolated corbel course at wallhead, arching over narrow lights and supporting crenellated parapet with water spouts.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: tower off-centre right and variety of irregular openings including tripartite window, canted window (post 1918), large window and modern metal fire escape.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: end of arcade with pointed arch opening and closing pier to outer left, stone mullioned tri- and bipartite windows to pavilion elevation. Modern glazing. Green slates with decorative clay finials and ridge tiles.
INTERIOR: refurbished for use as municipal offices in 1960s(?) Scandinavian style with good timber detailing; staircase with metal balustrade, leading to landing with oval well similarly balustraded giving light to upper floor. Piers with filleted angles of timber strips. Some timber wainscot cladding. Polished timber floor with decorative border. Glazed doors with stylised brass handles. Some light fittings original to refurbishment in situ.
The building was apparently built as part of a legacy from three sisters, the Misses Buchanan of Bellfield, Ayrshire, and was originally intended for elderly members of the Buchanan clan, hence its former name, the Buchanan Retreat.
Other nearby listed buildings