This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9796 / 55°58'46"N
Longitude: -3.1935 / 3°11'36"W
OS Eastings: 325625
OS Northings: 676936
OS Grid: NT256769
Mapcode National: GBR 8N3.MY
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.XYHT
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Newhaven, 243 Newhaven Road, Willow Bank
Listing Date: 17 October 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390317
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43714
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1820. 2-storey, 4-bay pair of subdivided cottages set on slope. Symmetrical, rectangular-plan. Coursed rubble sandstone; droved long and short rubble quoins; continuous cornice; polished and painted surrounds to windows at S; projecting cills; architraved doorpieces. Polished and droved surrounds to N. Later conservatory added to S at ground; rear basement now a separate flat.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: architraved doorpieces to central bays with decorative friezes and projecting cornices. Single window to ground in bay to outer left; single door formed from window in bay to outer right; regularly fenestrated to 1st floor.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-storey, 4-bay symmetrical arrangement. Single openings in all bays to basement. Tripartite windows to ground floor in bays to outer left and right. Single windows to both floors in remaining bays.
2-pane timber sash and case windows. Replacement grey pantiled roof with stone skews; Velux rooflights. Coped rubble apex stacks to E and W; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1996.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: coped rubble wall to Newhaven Road. Polished and painted pilastered pedestrian gateway to S; projecting cornice; replacement iron gate; garage with roller shutter door to left. Polished sandstone gatepiers to N; curved pyramidal caps; replacement metal gates.
Random rubble wall to W marks original entry to Willow Bank House (demolished). Stone coping; pyramidal caps; timber gate.
Once part of the Whalebank Estate with Willow Bank House to its W (the original No 243) and Shelbourne Bank House (now No 12 Park Road) beyond. The boundary wall and gateway to the W of No 243 are the only remains of Willow Bank House - demolished in 1970 by Edinburgh City to make way for "public open space" behind the modern scheme by Ian G. Lindsay & Partners (Auchinleck Court). Originally surrounded by extensive open land to N and S, the Whalebank Estate and the three substantial buildings aligned on it, played a key role in the then sparse townscape. Despite the addition of a conservatory to the front of No 243/1 and the subsequent cutting off of its doorpiece, the pair remain symmetrical and true to their original form.
Other nearby listed buildings