This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9797 / 55°58'46"N
Longitude: -3.1948 / 3°11'41"W
OS Eastings: 325542
OS Northings: 676944
OS Grid: NT255769
Mapcode National: GBR 8N3.CY
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.WYVS
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Newhaven, 12 Park Road
Listing Date: 17 October 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390325
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43720
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
1820-1824. Re-orientated and subdivided 2-storey, 3-bay detached classical house with later attic. Lightly stugged sandstone; heavy ground floor rustication. Polished surrounds; raised margins and voussoirs. Continuous base, string and blocking course to original entrance (now rear). Coursed rubble sandstone; polished ashlar dressings; long and short ashlar quoins flush to surface at rear (now entrance).
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: entrance off-set to right of centre; replacement door; single window above. Single windows to both floors in outer bays. First floor window to right not aligned with ground floor below.
N (ORIGINAL ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical arrangement; 3-storey, 3-bay; central opening (now window) indicates original door. Regularly fenestrated; dormers aligned with outer bays.
Modern glass louvred window to ground to left of N elevation; 12-pane timber sash and case windows to remaining openings. Grey slate roof, stone skews, coped apex stacks to E and W.
INTERIOR: not seen 1996.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: coped gatepier to right; coped boundary wall to street; replacement ironwork.
Converted into separate flats during the 1970s. Referred to as "Shelbourne Bank House" on the 1855 Ordnance Survey map. Once part of the Whale Bank Estate with Willow Bank House to its East (derelict and demolished in 1971 by Edinburgh City to make way for "public open space" behind the modern scheme by Ian G Lindsay & Partners) and Willow Bank beyond that. Wood shows an extensive formal garden to the N and open fields (subsequently Park Road) to S.
Other nearby listed buildings