This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9806 / 55°58'49"N
Longitude: -3.1931 / 3°11'35"W
OS Eastings: 325651
OS Northings: 677039
OS Grid: NT256770
Mapcode National: GBR 8N3.QM
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.XYN3
Entry Name: 5 Peacock Court
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390327
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43722
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1860; recast and converted circa 1970. 2-storey, 3-bay reorientated L-plan tenement fronting Pier Place and Peacock Court. Harled and limewashed entrance elevation (originally rear); raised and painted cement surrounds to openings. Squared and snecked stugged rubble sandstone to Pier Place and Peacock Court (originally entrance). Rendered and white-washed ground floor facing S. Stugged long and short quoins; raised and painted surrounds to openings; consoled doorpiece to original entrance (now blocked).
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: a-symmetrical disposition of single openings. Timber door to entry off-set to left of centre. Single window to ground in bay to outer right; single window above. Single windows to 1st floor in bays to centre and outer left.
N (PIER PLACE) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 2-bay; symmetrical disposition of windows. Single windows to both floors in bay to right; bipartite windows to both floors in bay to left.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: single window to re-entrant angle. Roll-moulded pilastered doorpiece in bay to outer right; flanking consoles; projecting cornice; single window to left. Continuous cornice divides ground and 1st floors. Single window to 1st floor in bay to outer right; single windows to both floors in recessed wing. Blank facade to projecting bay.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay; single windows to ground in bays to centre and left. Regularly fenestrated to 1st floor.
12-pane uPVC windows to ground fronting Pier Place and Peacock Court; 12-pane timber sash and case windows to remaining openings. Piended grey slate roof in diminishing courses. Stepped rubble wallhead stacks to E and W with projecting cornices and octagonal cans.
B Group with Nos 1-4 (see separate list entry). Initially a group of N-facing 1-storey cottages (see Ordnance Survey, 1876), the Peacock Hotel emerged during the late eighteenth century following Thomas Peacock?s acquisition of feuing rights in 1767. A century later,
Mrs Clark built this block in Peacock Court in order to serve "Real and Original Clark's Newhaven Fish Dinners". Bar accommodation was set in the ground floor (with a fireplace inset with coloured tiles in the shape of a peacock) whilst a dining room and bedrooms were set in the 1st floor. No longer part of the hotel complex, the building has been subdivided to form private flats and is now entered from the W. Previously listed with Nos. 3 and 4 Peacock Court - now listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings