This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9804 / 55°58'49"N
Longitude: -3.197 / 3°11'49"W
OS Eastings: 325406
OS Northings: 677030
OS Grid: NT254770
Mapcode National: GBR 8M3.XN
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.VYT6
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Newhaven, 56-58 Main Street and 12 Pier Place, Fisherman's Hall
Listing Date: 17 October 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390328
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43723
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1877. 2-storey, 4-bay rectangular-plan hall with Baronial detailing forming part of terrace fronting Main Street and Pier Place. Reorientated and subdivided to accommodate new use as a club. ENTRANCE: 2-storey, 4-bay. Rendered and lined ground floor; squared and snecked yellow sandstone to 1st floor. Shouldered and tabbed polished window surrounds; stugged long and short quoins; stugged string course. REAR: squared and snecked yellow sandstone; rendered and lined at ground; polished ashlar dressings; long and short rubble quoins. Continuous base course; moulded cornice; crow-steps to central gables.
N (PIER PLACE) ELEVATION: chamfered corner to outer left, corbelled out to square at 1st floor. GROUND FLOOR LEFT; door (infilled) in bay to outer left, window (now entrance) to inner right. GROUND FLOOR RIGHT; window in bay to outer right, door (infilled) to inner left. 2 single windows to 1st floor flank armorial panel centred in gablehead above. Round-arched belfry with projecting string course and cornice centred in apex stack.
S (MAIN STREET) ELEVATION: stepped hoodmould above entrance incorporating armorial panel depicting ship; roll-moulded surround to door; recessed 2-leaf replacement door. Single openings flank entrance at 1st floor. Large windows in bays to left and right of entry at ground; single doors in outer bays; single windows aligned above. Stone pediments above first floor windows with sculpted flower finials. Stone surrounds to blind openings set in two central gables; crowstepped gableheads; scrolled skewputts.
12-pane timber sash and case windows in all bays at first floor; replacement mullioned and transomed timber windows to ground. Grey slate roof in diminishing courses; stone skews. Rendered stacks to E and W; stone coped apex stack to N with circular cans. Replacement cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1996.
Built on the site of Newhaven old school, this was originally a meeting place for the Newhaven fishermen and contained a small, windowless meeting room known as the "auld box" - considered sacred by those who used it. Prior to the building of Newhaven Parish Church (1836), the weekly services held here were the only religious services in Newhaven (the nearest church at that time being North Leith). Attended by young and old, regular overcrowding soon lead to the need for a church in Newhaven itself and thus, the beginning of Newhaven Parish Church. With the demise of the Fishermen's Society, the meeting place became a bank, shops and was finally converted into the Port of Leith Motor Boat Club in 1978.
Other nearby listed buildings