History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edinburgh, Newhaven, 7, 8 Pier Place, St Andrew's Free Church

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9806 / 55°58'50"N

Longitude: -3.1964 / 3°11'46"W

OS Eastings: 325446

OS Northings: 677045

OS Grid: NT254770

Mapcode National: GBR 8N3.1M

Mapcode Global: WH6SD.WY33

Entry Name: Edinburgh, Newhaven, 7, 8 Pier Place, St Andrew's Free Church

Listing Date: 29 April 1977

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 390329

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43724

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Unitary Authority Ward: Leith

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Granton

Description

James Anderson Hamilton, 1852; recast and enlarged by Wallace & Flockhart, 1883. Converted 5-bay Gothic T-plan church (now a recreation centre) with tower and spire in N re-entrant angle. 2-storey, single-bay red sandstone organ house to left (now converted); vestry to Main Street (now a private residence). Squared and snecked stugged sandstone to N; polished dressings; rubble sandstone to E, W and S. Ashlar steeple; projecting stone coped base course. Architraved openings; chamfered arrises; hoodmoulds to pointed-arched windows; geometric tracery. HALLS to right of church (converted into individual dwellings): 2-storey, 4-bay with attic. Squared and snecked red sandstone; polished dressings. Bipartite windows; gablets breaking eaves; hoodmoulded Tudor-arched openings with maritime carving to stops and trefoil tracery.

N (PIER PLACE) ELEVATION: a-symmetrical. Replacement 2-leaf timber and plate glass door in bay to right of centre at base of tower; pointed arch hoodmould; blank inset panel breaks 4 single windows above. Projecting string course; clasping gabled buttresses rising to octagonal gabled pinnacles. Tall lucarne belfry windows rising from spire base linked to pinnacles by cusping; gablets above.

Single bipartite window in secondary transept to left of entrance; blind geometric opening above. Single window in bay to right of entry; bipartite and gabled dormer window above. 2 single windows set symmetrically in transept; triangular window set in apex. Stone mullions; geometric tracery; pointed hoodmoulds with projecting stops. Infilled triangular window to E transept gable.

HALLS (PIER PLACE ELEVATION): access to rear through architraved pend in bay to outer left; maritime detailing to stops. Round-arched doorway to right; replacement timber door; 6-light segmental fanlight above. Single bipartite windows in remaining 3 bays at ground; chamfered arrises; geometric tracery (infilled). Tripartite gabled window to 1st floor in bay to outer left; bipartite gabled windows in remaining bays. Modern dormers between gables in bays to right of centre.

ORGAN HOUSE (PIER PLACE ELEVATION): step to 2-leaf boarded timber door; replacement plate glass fanlight. Round-arched architraved surround; plain projecting hoodmould and stops. Enlarged single window aligned above; stone surround. Chamfered slit in apex.

Leaded and stained glass windows to main body; modern windows to halls; replacement fenestration to organ house. Grey slate roof in diminishing courses; raised stone skews.

INTERIOR: recast and converted into climbing centre in 1982. Furnishings removed; openings blocked; climbing walls erected.

Statement of Interest

Following the decision by the Secession of Newhaven Parish Church to break away from the Establishment in 1843, the Rev James Fairburn and his congregation were without a permanent place for worship. Having used a wooden hut in the park at the west end of Main Street and the school building as assembly points, the congregation of the Free Church set up a building committee and collections were begun. Accepting Hamilton's design for the new building, work commenced in 1851 and was complete by November 2nd 1852 when the first meeting of the committee was summoned. With a seating capacity of 600 plus a further 200 in the gallery, St Andrews was half as large again as the church abandoned by the congregation in 1843. Thus, having had no church for nearly 300 years, Newhaven had two by the mid 1850s. St Andrew's was highly regarded by all in the village and indeed, by outsiders struck by the quality of its intricate maritime carvings. Disused in 1977, conversion into a climbing centre and residential flats has left the exterior remarkably intact. See photograph in McGowran p185 for former appearance of interior with its impressive altar, pulpit, choir stalls and organ. Previously listed with 16 Main Street (now 44 Main Street - see separate list entry).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.