This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9804 / 55°58'49"N
Longitude: -3.1958 / 3°11'44"W
OS Eastings: 325481
OS Northings: 677026
OS Grid: NT254770
Mapcode National: GBR 8N3.5P
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.WYC7
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Newhaven, 2, 3 Westmost Close
Listing Date: 17 October 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390337
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43731
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Mid to later 18th century; recast and converted by Ian Lindsay & Partners, circa 1970. 2-storey, 4-bay vernacular-style house abutting Main Street. Rectangular-plan with 2-storey, 3-bay extension to rear. Harled and limewashed; raised and painted concrete surrounds to openings; exterior stair with timber railings to 1st floor.
W (WESTMOST CLOSE) ELEVATION: timber boarded door to ground floor set in stair recess (No 3); single windows in bays to outer left and right. Stairs to 1st floor entry (No 2) in central bay; timber boarded door; single windows in bays to left and right.
S (MAIN STREET) ELEVATION: single windows in central bay to ground and 1st floors. EXTENSION: single windows to both floors.
E (BURIAL GROUND) ELEVATION: regular fenestration in all bays to both floors.
12-pane timber sash and case windows to both elevations. Machine-made red pantiled roof with grey slate easing course; precast concrete skews. Harled apex stack to N and S; precast concrete copes; circular cans.
B Group with Nos 5 and 6 Westmost Close (see separate list entries). One of many properties refurbished by Ian Lindsay & Partners during the 1970s, it has features common to all - standard detailing to the stair railing, harled and limewashed walls, precast concrete copes and skews, red pantiles and new timber sash and case windows. Note throughout, the retention of the Scottish fishing village vernacular with exterior stairs, a modest facade and simple proportions. Compare with Cross Wynd, Falkland or St Moran?s, Fife, both of which were recorded by Lindsay. Despite harsh detailing and element of standardisation, the practice?s Newhaven work should be acknowledged as a pioneering attempt to conserve and improve an entire fishing village. A substantial project with a clear philosophy, it contrasts with more recent restoration attempts and thus, illustrates the differing and developing attitudes towards conservation. House adjoins ruined W wall of St Mary and St James? Chapel, 1508.
Other nearby listed buildings