This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9697 / 55°58'10"N
Longitude: -3.1596 / 3°9'34"W
OS Eastings: 327717
OS Northings: 675795
OS Grid: NT277757
Mapcode National: GBR 8W7.HJ
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.F6NW
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 1, 2 Gladstone Place
Listing Date: 29 April 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391626
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44904
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Dated 1880, built for John Blackie. 4-storey, 8-bay tenement turning tight corner site; bays grouped 1 - 5 - 2, bays 2-5 form corner bow. Polished ashlar sandstone to front; channelled at ground floor; squared and snecked rubble to rear. Base course, band course between ground and 1st floor; moulded and bracketted cill courses to 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor windows, eaves cornice and blocking course. Architraved openings to 1st and 2nd floor; corniced to 1st floor; pedimented consoled window at 3rd bay, 2nd floor.
Entrance door to tenement in outer left bay: panelled door with rectangular plate glass fanlight and consoled cornice doorpiece. Doors to shops at bays 3, between bays 6 and 7, and at bay 8; each flanked by modern shop windows. Regularly fenestrated upper floors; bipartite windows to 8th bay.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows to 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor openings; modern glazing to ground floor. Grey slate piended roof. Rendered and corniced stacks: arch-linked pair over bay 3; single stacks with scrolls at base between bays 4 and 5, 5 and 6.
INTERIOR: not seen (1995).
RAILINGS: cast-iron railings with spearhead finials at No 2 Gladstone Place.
Impressive corner skyline with details suggestive of David Rhind. Adjoins 3-14 Gladstone Place.
Other nearby listed buildings